file fun with .pso

More
18 years 3 months ago #14484 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic fun with .pso
Have a good holiday. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14489 by davel
Replied by davel on topic fun with .pso

Originally posted by Second Chance

Looking good guys.

@davel, any chance we could get some more info on your script? I know that I'm not the only one here who uses Max for modeling, and a direct importer/exporter would be a godsend. Btw - do you already know that Max and Lightwave use different world axis alignments? Something pointing forward in Max will end up pointing upward and be flipped over in Lightwave and EoC.

Sure, I started my script a while back to import the .pso files into 3DSMAX. I still have plenty to do, what is working now is the FTU conversion including mip maps. I can also import verts, faces, and normals from PSOs. I'm still working on UVs, I just need some time to get to it. Maybe it'll get done at work, since my boss is out of town. ;)

The axes are already taken care of. MAX is right-hand rule (or left hand, can't remember.) I used to work in the Game industry and it was always a point of contention between the artists and programmers whether Y or Z was up. In the end, every game converter I'm aware of for 3DSMAX swaps the Y and Z axes.

Here's some pics of my progress. I'd be further along if I hadn't stopped to make a front end, but it's easier to look at and helps direct my attention.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14491 by Joco
Replied by Joco on topic fun with .pso
Keep it up davel. Once you have the 3dsmax version sorted I can probably convert it to run on gmax using NWmax Snoop to get automated export saving.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14494 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic fun with .pso
That's a nice-looking interface Davel. I wish more tools had that type of polish. :)

More
18 years 3 months ago #14495 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic fun with .pso
OH, that is awsome! I really hope you end up finishing it. Any chance of an exporter to go with it? Man, could I have used a nice Max to PSO exporter while making those 10 models for the Wings of Defiance mod. Instead of building in Max, exporting, and surfacing in Lightwave. Ugh, what a lot of work. And to be able to UV map would be heaven.

Keep up that beautiful work.

I'm away from my computer on an unexpected trip right now. So I'll see you guys after the holidays. Merry Christmas.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos

More
18 years 3 months ago #14501 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic fun with .pso
Looking very good. Anything that could help modelers get models into the game would be a godsend. I would say the fact that we can currently only use lightwave to get models into the game is a serious handicap when it comes to seeing new models. And Merry Christmas to those hard at work in this thread currently taking a holiday break.