fun with .pso

More
18 years 5 months ago #14257 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic fun with .pso
I don't think the pso objects use the luminosity value. I have built a number of objects with luminosity, and the only thing that determined the intensity of the 'luminosity' was the brightness of the texture itself. Settings in lightwave had no effect. The same could be said for specular effects. Transparency on the other hand seemed to work based on the settings in lighwave. Likely you all knew this already though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14261 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic fun with .pso
That makes sense, since EoC seems to ignore all texture editor values such as map position and rotation. (So if a texture map is flipped or misaligned, you can't fix it in the editor. You have to go back and change it in the paint program.) In fact, it's possible you may not even need to use the automatic sizing button at all when applying maps to surfaces (I'll have to check this), but I use it anyway so the textures look right in the LW display.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos

More
18 years 5 months ago #14262 by cambragol
I am pretty sure you do have to use it. While building asteroids I had to adjust the texture sizes frequently to get a nice wallpapering effect. The size of the texture in lightwae effected the appearence of the in game texturing, as far as I could see. I used the sizing to make textures that had to be repeated numerous times in order to cover the model once. That way my asteroids look very nice when flying close to them. In fact, all the sizing and positioning functions seem to work, for planar, spherical and cylindrical texture projections.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14265 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic fun with .pso
Wow, really!? Are you using 5.6? Because when I've tried to adjust misaligned textures in 6.5 they didn't take. They wouldn't repeat across a surface, either. Perhaps this is another example of failed 5.6 compatability from the newer versions (at least as far as EoC is concerned). This is good to know. I'll have to include this info in my tutorial.

Jasper, have you noticed differences reguarding these functions between the new and old LW object files?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos

More
18 years 5 months ago #14266 by cambragol
Yes, I was using 5.6 when I set up my textures. Go to the Torn Stars screenshots page for Unstable space, and you can see some examples of asteroids with textures repeating across the surface.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14267 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic fun with .pso
Of course texture size, rotation, and other attributes affect the manner in which the textures are displayed (either in-game or in any version of LW).