little red and blue boxes

More
19 years 10 months ago #18094 by MajorTom
Hey guys, I need some help.

You've seen the blue and red "boxes" on the stations. the models appear to be in the avatar folder "modular stations"

I would like to use those models as an avatar for a sim, to make a cool new type of bomb.

I can't identify an avatar for those boxes though, and apparently they are just attached somehow via the station setup scene.
Is there an easy way to create a setup scene (avatar) using the models.
(sorry, if the terminology above isn't 3d moddler correct, but I hope you get what I mean?)

Edit/ the boxes are actually in the folder avatars/boxes,
what I meant above is, they are apparently mounted directly to the stations somewheres in the modularstations avatars
/Edit

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10122 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic little red and blue boxes
The reason we need the blue or red boxes is because we have a new weapon. It's based on a "real" bomb idea from Shane:

The boxes will be a visable "Bomb Pod" on the ship where the bombs are.

The bomb looks like this:

In this shot I'm actually following it in formate mode

It works on a keybind, and goes after the target you have selected at launch. The bombs launch speed is determined by your own speed and it explodes after a time delay of 20 secs. After launch it drifts straight on at a speed depending on your ships speed as you launched it. The effective blast radius is only 8 km: i.e you will have to time it well as it may not get there or might overshoot your target.

This way it's primarily effective for stationary targets. You could get lucky if you send it after a slow moving ship but if the target turns your bomb will continue to drift straight on.

Don't launch it at enemy TIE Fighters if your buddies in an X-Wing are around: You'll kill your buddies too and they might get mad ;)

Here are some more shots:

Here an normal hud shot of it approaching the target

Zoomed in at the locality in question

Things can be rough for Bar Owners and Hotel Keepers these days

Actually the Explosion looks like this, but it's not a pretty picture

More
19 years 10 months ago #10124 by Second Chance
Very, very cool. But don't you think the bomb is a little big? In that pic it's almost 300 meters away, and it still looks like that?

Will it explode before 20 seconds if it hits something (I hope)?

When it explodes, does it cause a "Shane reaction"? [:o)]

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 10 months ago #10130 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic little red and blue boxes

Originally posted by Second Chance

Very, very cool. But don't you think the bomb is a little big? In that pic it's almost 300 meters away, and it still looks like that?

Ok, Maybe it's just my weary old eyes, but I wanted to see it and what it's doing during the development phase. we'll make it smaller.

Will it explode before 20 seconds if it hits something (I hope)?

yes if it hits something big enough and hard enough to crunch it's hull. The other side of the coin is, if it's too crunchy, it'll be too easy for fighters to shoot it down.

You bet! I'll get a movie of a station blowing up for you as soon as possible. The "Shane reaction" lasts about 40 secs. as the station slowly but constantly explodes

Now,... what about my little blue boxes?

More
19 years 10 months ago #10134 by Hot4Darmat

Originally posted by Second Chance

Most definitely. Whenever someone drops a Major Tom-ic bomb, it unleashes a Shane reaction.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
19 years 10 months ago #10148 by Demiurgo
Replied by Demiurgo on topic little red and blue boxes
You guys always get me impressed with your work...

Sorry i cann't help you MT :( , but your works (all of them from all of you) are getting me nearer to start reading POG code and start trying to make something in EoC. Maybe this summer...

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran