little red and blue boxes

More
19 years 10 months ago #10165 by Second Chance

quote:

Will it explode before 20 seconds if it hits something (I hope)?

yes if it hits something big enough and hard enough to crunch it's hull. The other side of the coin is, if it's too crunchy, it'll be too easy for fighters to shoot it down.

I think, rather than an impact detonation, it would be better if it had a proximity detonation. Then you can make the hit points as high as you like, but it'll still detonate if it hits anything. Is that workable?

Is there an easy way to create a setup scene (avatar) using the models.

Holy cow! I only just now felt the question filter into my head! Sorry. The answer should be a resounding yes! If they've got a physical avatar model any sim can be set up in a scene.

Tracking down these avatar locations sounds like a job for my new mod, "Beauty Shots." It will allow you to throw any visible sim into a folder and view it unbothered in-game (you can even "pose" moveable sims through the remote link). So all you have to do is keep chucking suspects into the mod folder (one at a time) until the boxes reveal themselves. SoupDragon may have uploaded it into the mods section by now. But if not, you can get it here:
americanodysseymagazine.com/johnspics/sc_beauty_shots.zip

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10169 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic little red and blue boxes

I think, rather than an impact detonation, it would be better if it had a proximity detonation. Then you can make the hit points as high as you like, but it'll still detonate if it hits anything. Is that workable?

nope, proximaty mines don't work correctly im MP, if they are created after the game has already started. I guess, due to the static geography.

If they've got a physical avatar model any sim can be set up in a scene.

I know, but I can't find an avatar for the box model. It's only a PSO thats apparently attached as a null object to other models.
Thats why I asked if an avatar could be created for the PSO model.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #10171 by Second Chance
Tell me what the pso filename is and I'll make you an avatar scene of it. Piece of cake. :)

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 10 months ago #10173 by MajorTom
resource\avatars\boxes\bluebox.pso
resource\avatars\boxes\redbox.pso
resource\avatars\boxes\yellowbox.pso
resource\avatars\boxes\greenbox.pso

They only have 1kb each!

I dunno, if they are the boxes used on the modular stations or not,
it's just a guess.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10176 by MajorTom

Originally posted by MajorTom

nope, proximaty mines don't work correctly im MP, if they are created after the game has already started. I guess, due to the static geography.

BTW: I forgot to mention, the avatar on the bomb is from the old MP game "Bomb Tag". I used it specifically because it is "sticky"! [^]

I dunno how it works but if it hits another object at a speed of less than 350 m/s it sticks to the object and rolls around across the objects surface. [}:)]

Thats some pretty tricky modeling, you might want to look into how that works someday. ;)

More
19 years 10 months ago #10185 by Second Chance
Ok, I'll get to work on them shortly.

Thats some pretty tricky modeling, you might want to look into how that works someday.

Is this a stock EoC feature? If it is, then I expect that it's more like some tricky C++. If not, then I don't know what it is. I can't imagine any way an effect like that could be achieved (well, reasonably anyway) through modeling. But I'd sure love to see this effect! :p It sounds cool as hell!