Models from other sources too?

More
19 years 11 months ago #10030 by Second Chance
These are good points. The only reason I even suggested using special dockports was so that the fighters could dock to the carrier at their engines. And I thought maybe you didn't want aft dockports on the fighters so I suggested this as an alternative. If it's all the same to you, I'd rather just put the fighters regular dockports on the aft part of the ship.

The idea of stacking the ships was misguided. I was thinking of future use of the carrier in an SP game, but I forgot that AI fighters can just be launched with a fighter launcher. So guess this is all pointless. With only a few ships per side, there's no way we're going to run out of room. Sorry to waste all this time.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #10032 by MajorTom
It's definately not a waste of time. :D

There is lots of food for thought here and it helps get the perspectives for future plans right too. ;)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #10429 by Roi Danton

Originally posted by MajorTom

We have some functionality in the scripts, that we cannot address with the models we have planned. That is for example the possibility to do live online trading. That would require some kind (s) of freighter ship. Do we want to persue this (and possibly use models from an external source)

For example, Buda5 has some modelled freighters:
  • EA Freighter
    • 3pod version
    • 12pod version
    • native version
  • EA Transport
  • EA 7Tango7 (small transport)
  • EA Cotton Tender
  • EA Asimov Liner (big passenger transport)
  • EA Atmospheric Shuttle/EA Shuttle (small passenger and cargo transport)
  • Minbari Flyer (small passenger transport)
So these ships could be used when the SW and B5 world come together (so there is no design issue).

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 10 months ago #10435 by MajorTom
Thats a good idea for the long term future, Roi.

Presently I'm thinking about taking the Trade games out of the SW mod completly for now.

It's confusing that the trade game doesn't support bots and it will be somewhat cumbersome to get cargo from the SP game for trading: You will have to start the game in SP mode and then switch back to MP mode to get the cargo into the mp game. (it will also require some script re-engineering too)

We could/can re-introduce a live online trading feature later as a "new" feature (or in combination with a joint mod).

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #10456 by Hot4Darmat
I'd have to agree with you on that Major Tom. This seems to be shaping up to be much more of a combat intensive MP game, with little room for trading. Save any trading features for some future project....maybe between the Earth Alliance, the League of non-aligned worlds, and the Narn regime.

--
Hot4Darmat

More
19 years 10 months ago #10465 by Roi Danton

Originally posted by Hot4Darmat

future project....maybe between the Earth Alliance, the League of non-aligned worlds, and the Narn regime.

Oh, an adept of Babylon5 :) .

Yes, firstly the combat sceanarios should have all features you/we want, should be complete (including GUI) and bug free. Also I think Multiplayer combats are more popular than trading b/c trading is longer and you need IMHO more players than for combat.

buda5.firstones.com

buda5.firstones.com