Models from other sources too?

More
19 years 11 months ago #10010 by Second Chance
Well, that depends. Do you want it before or after the Tie Bomber? If before, I can probably finish it this week. If after, then next week. It's all up to you.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #10016 by MajorTom
Thanks,
Actually, the destroyer would be preferable first, as it will have the hanger in it(?), so we can put it on the maps and get the docking stuff down right. (the hanger being simply a row of dock ports inside a "hollowed out" space.)

The Tie bomber doesn't have any special functionality, just a lot of bombs (missiles) and normal guns, so we can easily do it a week later.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 11 months ago #10019 by Second Chance
Ok, no prob. I'll get to work on it.

Have we decided definitely that all fighters will dock using an aft dockport? This is important, because it affects the number of dockports I can get in the hangar. Personally, I think the aft port docking is the way to go. It will look neater and allow more ships per hangar.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 11 months ago #10025 by MajorTom
I think for the rebel ships it should be aft.

For the imp ships it could just as well be upper or lower? Then you could string them along on the ceiling or the floor?

But waddya do when an imp steals an X-Wing and docks it in his Star Destroyer?

More
19 years 11 months ago #10027 by Second Chance

For the imp ships it could just as well be upper or lower?

Not really, only the Tie Fighter is relatively cubical. The Interceptor and Bomber are both longer than they are high or wide, just like the rebel ships (except the B-Wing, which will be a special case). Since dockport on fighters this small are absurd anyway, the idea is to place the dockports at positions that will allow the stacking of as many fighters (of any kind) as possible within the hangars. (Remember also that the fighters will be hard to see inside the carriers.) This does not take into account any fighters being used as regular ships in the trading game, my intention was solely to deal with fighters docking in the carrier hangars. But since, as I said, dockport on fighters this small are absurd anyway, I don't think dockport location will really hurt the trading game experience.

Or, how about this: Instead of T_Ship dockports for the carriers, we use T_CargoFreightOnly dockports for the fighters to dock with the carriers, and T_Ship dockports for the fighters to dock with other things. Since nothing else should dock with the carriers, they will have no T_Ship dockports. So the question is: Will a fighter equipped with a T_Cargo dockport dock properly to a carrier equipped with a T_CargoFreightOnly dockport?

More
19 years 11 months ago #10029 by MajorTom
First off, I don't understand the need for stacking ships? We only need around 6 to 8 ports maximum because there will never be more than 12 players total in a game?

The big question for me is, can the docking autopilot find it's way into the hanger? (The pilot may have to fly inside the hanger before he uses F8 in the first place)

Specific dockports is a good idea, but be carefull, you're getting yourself into a lot of work and I'm not so sure it will work:
(btw. those are DT_types not T_types)

I think the DT_types are only for docking to specific ports per pog (I have used them in SP that way sucessfully)
Also, for example the DT_Cargo port will dock to any universal port (not just to DT_CargoOnly)
I'm not saying it won't work but take a look at the type_flags in the dockport .ini files first and make sure you understand them (I don't)

I've tried a couple of times with cargo_only and turret_fighter_only ports but they still docked anywhere in MP. The standard dock command seems to override any specific commands.

Additionally we have the CUV which is not only going to dock to fighters. It will need to dock to it's mother ship (or a station) as it can only refurbish 3 ships before it has to restock itself.

Then we have some maps without carriers where the fighters will have to dock to stations too, so we would have to change all them too?

If the player does have to fly into the hanger manually, would you still need the specific ports?