Delayed SFoil animation on the X-Wing

More
19 years 10 months ago #10640 by Roi Danton
For the discussion about the TF refer to the thread in the AOB Section: www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1674

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 10 months ago #10699 by MajorTom
testing last Sunday, we had a heated battle against Imp bots on the academy map. Imo a forced view with an external cutscene of the SFoil activation is definatly not acceptable.

The scene of the wings opening (in that script) is timed to 3.5 secs, leaving you utterly helpless for that time.

The F3 solution seems to be the best alternative at the moment, because the player has the option to switch back to the cockpit view immediatly and not wait for a timer to switch him back.

We may finally opt for no external view during actuation anyhow?
A forced external view doesn't really provide what we're after in the first place. There are still several sitiuations where you will see another players Sfoils open long after they have been actuated. For example: If you are shot by an X-Wing a scene shows your attacker before you respawn. You will see his wings open at that point, (unless you viewed/saw him previously with his wings opened)

A solution could be: change the LOD switch distance ratios in the .lws?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 10 months ago #10742 by Second Chance

The Hud target mesh is the LOD1 model representation, so it will only show a wing position change whenever get you within LOD1 distance to your target (100-150 meters on this model)

This shouldn't be. All the LODs have wing animation, so the LOD 1 should open it's wings even if it's not displayed (such as from a long distance). Or did we go over this already? Is there an animation delay no matter what the display situation is? There is, isn't there. So since the HUD only uses the LOD 1 mesh for display it won't animate, even though the command was sent. Blech [xx(]! EoC animation is very annoying!

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 10 months ago #10748 by MajorTom
The three "detail switches" in the .lws are for the LODs aren't they? They look to me like they are in some kind of a ratio or relationship to size format?

Changing the second detail switch to cover a wider range of distance should help with the Hud wire mesh model? (that shouldn't be too much of a problem with frame rates due to the models size)

The animation itself is not "delayed". The problem is, the animation doesn't occur until you look at it.
The time span for the wings to open or close is, as we know, adjustable too. A faster animation cycle would make the B-Wing look like a butterfly, though ;)

More
19 years 10 months ago #10760 by Second Chance

Changing the second detail switch to cover a wider range of distance should help with the Hud wire mesh model? (that shouldn't be too much of a problem with frame rates due to the models size)

The problem is that it's a system-wide change. Every model in the game will be affected by it. I don't think it's worth it for such a small detail. Unless we can find a better way to control it, I think we're just going to have to accept that we're screwed on the animation aspect.

The animation itself is not "delayed". The problem is, the animation doesn't occur until you look at it.

[?] Um, that is a delay. ;)

I wish we knew why PS coded their animation this way.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 10 months ago #10763 by MajorTom
Delay could mean that the engine waits for a few seconds after you push the button before starting the animation. I just wanted to point that out to be sure there is no confusion. (since many of the subjects here are being dealt with theoretically).

I meant these detail switches (taken from the top of the X-Wing setup.lws in the avatar conversion file):

LWSC

FirstFrame 1
LastFrame 100
FrameStep 1
PreviewFirstFrame 0
PreviewLastFrame 100
PreviewFrameStep 1
FramesPerSecond 25

AddNullObject <detail_switch min=0.0 max=0.01>
ShowObject 8 7
ObjectMotion (unnamed)
-20 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1
0 0 0 0 0
EndBehavior 1
ShadowOptions 7

AddNullObject <detail_switch min=0.01 max=0.1>
ShowObject 8 7
ObjectMotion (unnamed)
0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1
0 0 0 0 0
EndBehavior 1
ShadowOptions 7

AddNullObject <detail_switch min=0.1 max=1.0>
ShowObject 8 7
ObjectMotion (unnamed)
20 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1
0 0 0 0 0
EndBehavior 1
LockedChannels 6
ShadowOptions 7

It seems somehow, min=0.01 max=0.1> translates to a range of 100 to 150 meters (for this model)?

Would changing like this (for example) influence the LOD ranges:

LOD0) AddNullObject <detail_switch min=0.0 max=0.01>
LOD1)AddNullObject <detail_switch min=0.01 max=0.4>
LOD2)AddNullObject <detail_switch min=0.4 max=1.0>

How would a change on just one model affect all others?