Delayed SFoil animation on the X-Wing

More
19 years 11 months ago #10520 by MajorTom
This issue is still unresolved and we need to make a decision or find a solution.

The F3 alternative isn't too bad, but the player can still get mixed up, if he uses F3 twice in sucession: on the 2nd time he gets a shot of his target, while his wings close.

Do we all agree that the external view, which stops your ship is not an option?

That leaves us with the 3 options:

1) use F3 and require the player to manually operate F1 to get back to his cockpit (the player may get confused in the screens).

2) don't show any outside scene of the wings opening at all. The player will still have the delayed view of the SFoils actuating if he does use F3. (most players probably won't notice it that much as you won't be looking at your wings during battle?)

3) Think of something else

Whats your vote? ;)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #10528 by Roi Danton
(1) Just a matter of the habit of the players (I never look at the enemies in battle with F3)

(3) If anybody has a good idea then of course this

(2) Never!
(a) If I want to look at my ship from time to time/docking
(b) The others can't see if the X-Wing has activated his weapons - maybe this is relevant with lower speeds

~Buda5 Designer & Scripter
buda5.firstones.com

buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 11 months ago #10531 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Roi Danton

(a) If I want to look at my ship from time to time/docking

(b) The others can't see if the X-Wing has activated his weapons - maybe this is relevant with lower speeds

on(a): You would still be able to use F3, it just wouldn't be coupled with the Sfoil activation.

on(b): Unfortunatly, due to flux, what the others see is dependant on when they look too:
If a player looks at an X-Wing 2 minutes after the X-Wing pilot actuated his SFoils, the player will still see them start to actuate, at the moment he presses F3. You can watch them activate in real time, only if you can see the actuating ship visually at the moment(or have pressed F3 before) a player activates.

The Hud target mesh is the LOD1 model representation, so it will only show a wing position change whenever get you within LOD1 distance to your target (100-150 meters on this model)

More
19 years 11 months ago #10542 by Roi Danton

Originally posted by MajorTom

on(a): You would still be able to use F3, it just wouldn't be coupled with the Sfoil activation.

Yes, but if I understand right, the SFoils won't be opened then and they will open like in earlier version when I pressed "k" and then press "F3". Thats not fine.

The Hud target mesh is the LOD1 model representation, so it will only show a wing position change whenever get you within LOD1 distance to your target (100-150 meters on this model)

On very slower speeds the average fight distances maybe will be closer then currently. Maybe.

Well, I still think the 1st is currently the best way for it. After some battles with X-Wing it didn't disturbed to press F3.

buda5.firstones.com

buda5.firstones.com

More
19 years 11 months ago #10545 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Roi Danton

Yes, but if I understand right, the SFoils won't be opened then and they will open like in earlier version when I pressed "k" and then press "F3". Thats not fine.

Not quite, When you press "k" the Sfoils would be virtually opened (speed changed and weapons active) but you would only see them opening after you pressed F3.

Well, I still think the 1st is currently the best way for it. After some battles with X-Wing it didn't disturbed to press F3.

Yes I think so too, at least until we get a better idea.
I've thought of a minor improvement: The switch function is now set to break and not actuate the wings if the current camera isn't the external view of your own ship. That way the player can't get confused if he opened the wings or not .
i.e if you press F3 a second time before you press F1 (which gives you an external view of your target) the wing position won't change. If you press F3 a 3rd time they will close again, but you will at least be in an external view of your own ship and see it happen.

If no one objects, I'll change the keybinds in the next dev version: F3 (Joystick Hat up) and F1 (Joystick Hat down). That'll make it easier to controll the wings.

On very slower speeds the average fight distances maybe will be closer then currently. Maybe.

Actually, thats something we will want to avoid. If the ships are too close together, the server can't register the hit because the bolt is so fast.
It's a compromise: If you make the bolts slower, they can't hit a moving target (extreme example the "Energy Bomb"). If they are fast, and your target very close, you will see the hits on your client, but the server won't "get" them.
You can compensate, within limits, by changing the length of the bolt. But, if the bolt gets to be something like 10km long, a ship can fly into the bolt and the server may register hits on things you never targeted (like your teammates). [V]

More
19 years 11 months ago #10551 by Roi Danton

Originally posted by MajorTom

If no one objects, I'll change the keybinds in the next dev version: F3 (Joystick Hat up) and F1 (Joystick Hat down). That'll make it easier to controll the wings.

At least for me these settings won't be good b/c on the Joystick Hat I have the lateral engines. If I want it on my Joystick I'll set F3 and F1 at button 5 & 6 (but not every joystick has 10 buttons).
I don't know how the general opinion is but I would set the lateral engine on the Joystick Hat per default b/c I use them extremly often.

@Fight Distance: Too bad, but it has to be tested how much the ships speed/acc settings can be decreased w/o having a problem with the server hit registration.

buda5.firstones.com

buda5.firstones.com