Delayed SFoil animation on the X-Wing

More
19 years 11 months ago #10045 by Second Chance

No, iDirector doesn't stop the ship, you can clearly see that it continues on it's path

I'm afraid that I've got to disagree. If anything, the ship clearly appears to come to an instantaneous halt. I tried flying very close by some large asteroids, and when I hit the K key, my ship sure seemed to be stopped dead right next to them. With only the camera panning movement visible. Next, I put the ship into a wicked roll right in front of the same asteroids. When the movie started, my ship was at a dead stop. Same with pitching.

As an animator, I'm pretty familiar with camera movements, and the only movement I saw was the camera panning around the ship. Causing, of course, objects in the background to appear to move (which is why I said that it would be hard to tell in space).

I'm not sure how it might help, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about iDirector stopping the movement before the movie starts. You might want to check it again.

The mod works perfectly, by the way. :) Nice job on the install files.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #10050 by MajorTom
Well, ok, disagree. :D

After I wrote the above I looked at it more closely and you are probably right. (dunno why I saw it otherwise now, maybe it was a earlier iteration)

The problem is though, even if I set a speed value at the end of the scene the ship only moves briefly and then stops. I think it is because the Input (throttle setting ect.) is purged and reset during iDirector.

We need a way to access the F3 function directly, but I dunno how to activate a key function directly (and I've never seen anyone else do it either)

<font color="orange">Edit:/ We could use the F3 key to actuate the SFoils. Then the ship won't stop. But, the player would have to press F1 to get back to the normal view. (cause I can't find a way to press it for him via pog)
/Edit</font id="orange">

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 11 months ago #10065 by Second Chance

We could use the F3 key to actuate the SFoils.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. What would happen if the player prematurely switched back to the HUD? If it wouldn't affect the wing animation, then it's an ideal solution. The player can either watch the movie, or not. I think having to press F1 is a small price to pay, but I guess we'll have to test it first and see.

I guess the real question hidden in this post is: What happens if an animation is not allowed to complete before switching away? Will the animation have to repeat itself to be seen, or will a brief glance be enough?

And please don't think I was disagreeing just to be obstinate, I was just trying to look in new directions for a solution. Ever since we had that discussion a while back about the X-Wing problem, I realised how valuable an unclouded (by the facts) opinion can be.

Sometimes, it's what you don't know that can lead to a solution. :D

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 11 months ago #10066 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

And please don't think I was disagreeing just to be obstinate, .....

Sometimes, it's what you don't know that can lead to a solution. :D

I didn't think that in any way. I'm glad you disagreed!
Sorry if my answer looked odd, I meant that I happily welcome your different opinion.

You are perfectly right about that: What you don't will usually lead to a solution. because if you knew it in the first place you wouldn't have a problem :D

if the player switched back to the HUD prematurely the wing animation will stop. When you press F3 again the animation will be delayed a bit until the engine catches up with the stored position, then the animation will continue until the wings are closed.

The problem with this solution is the player has no other external view. Regardless if the wings are open or shut, he always sees himself actuating when he presses F3.

You can test 3 different versions of the wing animation in about 20 minutes. It's uploading right now. Soon as its there I'll post in the dev version change log thread.

More
19 years 11 months ago #10069 by Second Chance

The problem with this solution is the player has no other external view.

Damn, that's right. Good point.

But, you know, with the game being as fast as it is; does anyone ever use the F3 view? I only ever use it to look at my ship for fun anyway. When there's nothing else going on.

Bummer about the animation pausing until you come back to it. That sure seems like a damn strange way to code it. Oh well, maybe we'll find a use for the pause in the future.

More
19 years 11 months ago #10075 by MajorTom

Originally posted by Second Chance

Oh well, maybe we'll find a use for the pause in the future.

LOL, At the rate we're going, I'm pretty sure we will. ;)
Thats like my "Go with the Flow" Attitude: if you can't fight em join em