Resigning from Torn Stars

More
17 years 1 month ago #18976 by GrandpaTrout
Hey All,

I am sorry to say that my life situation has changed, and I no longer have the hours and hours needed to code the Torn Stars project. I apologize to those who have been putting in hours testing.

It has been very good fun. And there is a huge code base for everything from loadout to cargo ships and every kind of GUI. Plus tools for geography creation, and economies, and balance spreadsheets etc. Plenty of material to support the efforts of others if they have the time to put into it. The source ships with each release.

If anyone needs help or assistance making sense of things, please feel free to contact me. I should be around the forum for a while longer, so feel free to post POG questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #16423 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Resigning from Torn Stars
Well GrandpaTrout,

It has been a fantastic ride. Really I am surprised we made it as far as we did. Most people are simply shocked to find that our modding has even continued as long as it has. And I hear you about putting in the long hours. Oh the long hours...but all fun of course.

I salute you and your vision, which really carried me as far as we came. Good luck in whatever project (or real life project) you venture on next.

More
17 years 1 month ago #16424 by Shingen
Replied by Shingen on topic Resigning from Torn Stars
Yeah..it was fun while it lasted. Hope everything goes well for you guys in the future. It doesn't seem like US will ever reach beta now, but it's still a pretty fun game as it is.

Good luck GT.

More
17 years 1 month ago #16425 by Runner
Replied by Runner on topic Resigning from Torn Stars
Oh no! May I inquire what has changed so dramatically about you life situation? Would you possibly see a cintinuation in some years? Could I beg you to put everything you have (sources, tools and stuff) as an extradownload, perhaps with some minimal documentation) as well as the very latest build?

Just in case someone wants to continue?

More
17 years 1 month ago #16427 by GrandpaTrout
US is very close to done (meaning the planned features are working). It mostly needs text and INI file changes at this point. Almost every bug in the database has been fixed and needs testing.

No trouble about posting up the sources. Most of them are in every release as it is. It would be great if someone else could continue with the work. TornStars is very, very moddable. Much more so than EoC itself. As it stands, change a few INI files and you could have a B5 mod instead of the Middle States.

There are tons of features that could be added as art only modifications. For instance, all the player ships can now change. And so can the ships of every faction. And stations, environments, ect, etc.

What is really needed is a POG coder who has the hours to put into fixing up the combat scripts, plus other features the team wants. POG is not hard to code, just time consuming.

More
17 years 1 month ago #16428 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Resigning from Torn Stars
I will be sure to keep the Torn Stars site up and running for at least another year. I am also going to look into making the current build, and sources, documentation etc. easily available on the website.

I am still going to be around to support the mod as much as I can, but really, without a coder, I can't do much more. I can add anything except the code, but it is the code that glues everything together. All we need is a dedicated coder (or two or three) to step in and carry the torch.

In the meantime, I will try to get together a final build based off of what GrandpaTrout has finished over the last 3 weeks or so. As he said, it is mostly done. With a bit of polish and building, perhaps even coding free, it could be a fairly viable 'Beta' release. Playable even.

I might even open up a Forum on the Torn Stars site (it is there already, hidden) to allow people directly interested in Torn Stars/Unstable Space to form a community. Still, without a coder or two or three, there won't be any progress on the game.