Re: Torn Stars

More
17 years 6 months ago #15587 by oldwarrior40k
Replied by oldwarrior40k on topic Re: Torn Stars
Thanks GranpaTrout. I am finally on my way. I'm enjoying the hell out of mod. The game has the right feel for trading/danger and suspense. In my 2nd attempt to buy and sell cargo the game crashed to the desktop after a while. I just hope it was a fluke.

Question to the group. I had discarded and keyboard template thinking I was never going to play this game again. Is there anywhere I can download the rulebook and or keyboard template? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #15588 by oldwarrior40k
More questions for the group: Since I trashed my rulebook I have been trying to figure out what some things mean within the game.

1- What do the little symbols that come and go in the HUD mean? One I think likes like a starship, one is an exclamation point etc.
2- Is there a way to tell how much cargo my wingman is carrying?
3- Does the mod allow me to upgrade to a Warship?
4- Any cheat money commands (to be used only as a last resort lol)
5- Can I add other mods to this one? There are lots of ships available but would they work here?

More
17 years 6 months ago #15589 by oldwarrior40k
opps never mind a pdf of the manual is on the cd. But, if you guys have any good tips please let me know. Thanks.

More
17 years 6 months ago #15590 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Re: Torn Stars

Originally posted by oldwarrior40k
2- Is there a way to tell how much cargo my wingman is carrying?

Target him and cycle through his subsystems. =)

Alternately, check your UniGUI menu and look at your stocks of goods.

3- Does the mod allow me to upgrade to a Warship?

Yep!

4- Any cheat money commands (to be used only as a last resort lol)

Nope. =)

5- Can I add other mods to this one? There are lots of ships available but would they work here?

In all likelihood, no. However, it might be possible to convince the Torn Stars developers to integrate some new ships into the package. For instance, there are new Epitaph "AMPs" which are coming out in Unstable Space...

"Important Note to Purchasers: This is a 100% matter product; in the unlikely event that this merchandise should contact antimatter in any form, a catastrophic explosion will result."

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.

More
17 years 6 months ago #15595 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Re: Torn Stars
Unfortunately, the only way we can really add new ship types/models, for the player to fly, is if someone writes a new 'loadout' for the game. Currently we are limited to 5 ships. This is no easy task, but if someone wants to tackle it for our 'Traffic' release, we would be happy to integrate it into the game. Currently we are leaning away from tackling that, in favor of making the systems, and the individual ships themselves, more 'real'. We are hearkening back to the original I-war a little bit, which was a simulation of a single ship. A large part of it's appeal to many people.

The way Grandpatrout and I see it, adding ships would just create a longer 'leveling treadmill'. This is good, but all the effort and time that Grandpatrout could put into that, would be better spent on making the ships, operations, stations, and crew of the current game much richer and more interactive. Essentially we want to make the game/simulation come 'alive' We figure focusing on this for the next release would be more fun, and more rewarding for both developers and players alike. We are a tiny tiny team, modding a now giant game, so we only have so much we can accomplish.

More
17 years 6 months ago #15597 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Re: Torn Stars
I was talking more about non-player-pilotable ships, although I would love it some day if the next big space sim developer made every single vehicle in the game player-pilotable. =)

As for levelling treadmill, I really hope the ships in the game aren't being added in terms of clear progressions of player desirability. Like in real life, there should be advantages and drawbacks for every ship. For instance, a lofty cruiser could get its ass handed to it by a swarm of fighters (there's a reason why human beings on the whole fear wasps: singly they're pathetic, although they can carry an unpleasant sting, but in groups they're deadly).

"Important Note to Purchasers: This is a 100% matter product; in the unlikely event that this merchandise should contact antimatter in any form, a catastrophic explosion will result."

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.