Torn Stars Website Down

More
17 years 11 months ago #18793 by cambragol
The hosting company for Torn Stars has taken the website down, as apparently there has been a large increase in activity over the last 24 hours. I am not sure why, but it was enough that it brought down the host server several times. I will try to have it back up as soon as possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago #15179 by GrandpaTrout
I did a google search for Torn Stars but nothing has popped up as the clear reason (like getting mentioned on slash dot crushes some sites). Did the host company give any suggestions if the traffic is real or if the traffic seems to be zombies?

More
17 years 11 months ago #15180 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Torn Stars Website Down
It turns out it was a DOS attack. Very weird. It brought down Torn Stars, and several thousand other sites. But it was directed at Torn Stars. No idea why. Good news is the hosting company put the site back up. Bad news is that if it happens again, they will permanently close Torn Stars. Unless I move it to a dedicated server. Which would run 90$ a month. So...let's cross our fingers and hope that it doesn't happen again!

More
17 years 11 months ago #15184 by GrandpaTrout
Great. The website exists at the whim of teenage hackers. The hosting company must have delt with this before. I wonder why they don't have autodetection software for this kind of thing?

More
17 years 11 months ago #15187 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Torn Stars Website Down
Yeah, not the greatest service on their end really. If it happens and they shut the site down, I will just move everything over to a better hosting company. I have already scouted around for better and found some, in the worst case scenario.

More
17 years 10 months ago #15258 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Torn Stars Website Down
Very late response, but that's flat-!*#$%ing-ridiculous. Extremely unprofessional to let something that happens outside of a client's control become the client's fault.

If this was my site, I'd switch hosts right now, because they clearly don't know what they're doing. ;-)

"The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss." --Douglas Adams

Surgeon-General's Warning: Early test cases of Torn Stars have resulted in fatalities. The errors in the software should be gone by now. Hopefully.