Torn Stars compatible with Epic Online mod?

More
18 years 3 months ago #18692 by tourist
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and new to EoC. When I had started the standard SP campaign, I really got excited about Epic Online with it's cargo trade game, since a buddy of mine also plays EoC and during his game, a station exploded due to a bug or something; and after that, hundreds of pods floated in space waiting to get collected. Well, after a hard days labour for Jafs, my buddy had all sorts of cargo and weaponry in large numbers at hand and then we installed Epic Online and he supplied me with lots of equipment.

Well, before finishing the standard EoC campaign, I backed up my savegames and decided to give Torn stars a try. And I admit that the free-roaming merchant occupation it offers while keeping the option to be a pirate made this game more attractive for me than the standard EoC campaign with it's limitation to pirate occupation.

But even after I performed several reputation upgrades, not all of the weapons I know from the standard game can be purchased at the stations and weapons selling ships of my allies, the Leung Imperial Navy and the Imperial Independent group. Before I invest my hard earned money into a corvette, I want to be sure I can equip it with the most powerful weaponry available - like strong rockets, gatling guns and the like. But so far only a neutron PBC, which I never tried in standard EoC, appeared for sale alongside the weak weapons like light PBC and Harrowers.

Now i would like to know if it is possible to install Epic online and use it with Torn Stars. Since the save-anywhere-feature of Torn Stars might cause problems with the cargo transfer from one player to another, I'd like to hear a developers's word about compatibility of both mods and how exactly my buddy can give me cargo and equipment from his standard SP game via Epic online so I can actually find and use it in Torn Stars.

Hope someone can give me a definite answer,

tourist

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14571 by GrandpaTrout
The two were not designed to work together. They are not compatable. The cargo in Torn Stars has changed. How save games are created has changed.

Your welcome to try it.

The weapons are tuned down in Torn Stars on purpose. We felt the player was far too powerful in EoC.

More
18 years 3 months ago #14579 by tourist
Hi there,

thank you for the fast answer to my question. And concerning player (fire-)power, you are right. So far, the strongest weapon I could purchase in Torn Stars is the Neutron PBC. But that's sufficient for my desire to tell the pirates I won't pay anymore. Somehow it feels very rewarding to fly my hard-earned Heavy Corvette with dual Neutron PBCs and some Seeker Rockets into battle against five or ten Pirate vessels and win by piloting skill, not just sheer firepower.

Yes, I am really looking forward to the additions your modding team plans for Torn Stars. If capturing ships, working as Explorer/Miner and even Station owner is added, X2 and X3 can go to hell, since no one will need those games anymore to play an immersive space sim when Torn Stars is complete.

By the way, did I get it right that Unstable and Traffic will be added to Torn Stars via a patch so I can keep my current pilot? That would be cool, since I gonne make him a millionaire tonight with plenty of the high-risk-high-pay and long-distance-makes-long-account trade runs I have discovered.

Keep up the great work on this fantastic mod,

tourist

More
18 years 3 months ago #14588 by GrandpaTrout
The save game structure has changed ( I am sorry to report) so I don't expect pilots to carry over. We might do something that allows you to keep some of your cash. But it might be more fun to work your way up using the new mining and exploration features.

I am sorry X3 has dissapointed so many (I have not yet played it). They were off to such a good start.