Epic: Stocking Containers

More
18 years 7 months ago #13828 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Epic: Stocking Containers
Another method might be to allow the player to purchase deep-space buoys (which would resemble a cargo pod in all respects... so it's basically just a specialized cargo type). These bouys could then be deployed and a permenant waypoint created on the contact list.

Any cargo pods within a 5 km radius are then saved out.

However, a limit must be imposed to keep the player from setting too many. Perhaps charge an exceptional amount of credits for each bouy and make them difficult to find. Also add in the chance that someone will find the encrypted signal and steal the pods?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #13830 by GrandpaTrout
I like that station idea. There is a warehouse station type. And the GUI would be simple. A much simpler version of the Trade GUI, so I could almost cut and paste. Perhaps a flat fee to store a pod (just for ease of coding). And once stored, the pod would take no graphical resources. Not hard. I need to think that idea over. It is a good one. And could come in handy when we want to get rid of Lucretia's base proper.

It could also be used to remove "stored" pods from wrecked space ships and the like. And I might be able to have missions look for the proper globals and know if a player "dropped off" required cargo, in the required amounts. Very interesting.

More
18 years 7 months ago #13831 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Epic: Stocking Containers
Shane raised good points about owning stations. I am not too crazy about the idea myself. Does it really add to the simulation? I suppose to a certain degree it would, but maybe it adds to the simulation 'vertically' rather than widen the breadth of the simulation. I would prefer more 'breadth' and I think Shanes ideas fits that nicely.

And if it is easy to code, all the better. I could even make a custom station for it. Before my station building skills completely fade away.

More
18 years 7 months ago #13832 by esraven
Replied by esraven on topic Epic: Stocking Containers

Originally posted by cambragol

Hi esraven,

I am curious..what kinds of pods did you have that you were not able to sell? Were they pirated, or were they just of a type that no one wanted in that system?

Just pods who lighted up blue when I was near a base. As far as I remember, normal goods as datasheets etc...
Looks like they felt off a ship :) of just a gift from the base.

I am just starting the game, I only have a neutral standing, so, it looks like I cannot sell them at this moment. As there estimated total value is about 20000, I just wanted to do a bit more ore trading and getting used to the different factions before deciding which side I choose, and be able to sell those goods, so that is the reason I wanted this goods to store for later use.

More
18 years 7 months ago #13833 by esraven

Originally posted by GrandpaTrout

Cargo pods are only saved if they are docked to player ships. Or if they are within 200km of the player when the game is saved.

The reason is that the Flux engine is limited. A cargo pod is a ship. And 100 ships will slow the game. It is easy to collect 100 cargo pods and leave them here and there.

Thanks for the info, gonna try that.
btw, I did not leave them near a base as I feared some npc ship was going to pick my floating cargo.

I tried it out and it works fine that way.
I only hope I don't forget somehow that I cannot save in an other base without loosing my precious cargo saved somewhere else

More
18 years 7 months ago #13834 by esraven

Originally posted by cambragol

Hi esraven,

edit: I just tested if I could leave my pods in space, save the game, reload, and pick them up again. It worked no problem. So you can do it. I am wondering whether you put them in a place where you couldn't find them again easily? Or maybe they were stolen?

I left them in the asteroid field in the starting system, cannot remember now the name of this asteroid field. It is marked on the map and waypointable, so I was pretty sure I came back on the same place.
btw, first time i tried, it forgot where I had put them [:I]
so second time I placed somewhere I was pretty sure to find them