Epic 7.7 Beta

More
18 years 7 months ago #13705 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Epic 7.7 Beta
Okay, maybe I left the Common Mine with a bit extra. Not sure why, but that would explain what you and I saw. No worries then. I will double check tonight. In anycase it is a small matter.

As for sound changes, I will leave out all the ship files, and limit modifications to the existing ini's and wav files. I need to change the ini's as well, because the settings are currently overlapping, and one sound is being cancelled out. It took me a bit of travel to figure out that that was what was happening. Not a big deal, but adjusting the min and max range in the sound ini's will make a fair difference to what is heard around a station. I already made all the changes and have been playing with it, so I am fairly sure that there are no errors. A couple of wavs have been adusted as well, for volume and bass, so those should be safe changes.

I will send it to you tonight as a single folder (all the changes are limited to one folder) from within the mod, and you can make the call as to include or hold.

edit -- I think I actually left extra cargo types in common mines on purpose. Common Mines only. Not sure why, but I vaguely recall that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #13706 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Epic 7.7 Beta
Tutorial Maybe? A few easy first runs? I can't remember either, I guess it has been a busy summer!

I have the build prepped. I am set to include the sound files and my autopilot fixes into a new build and get it shipped out for wider testing. Can you elaborate on what we should now be hearing so others can quickly recognize the changes?

More
18 years 7 months ago #13707 by cambragol
The most significant change is that I have teased apart the stations 'operational hum' from its 'broadcast'. We should hear, at around 50 km and inward, a noticable broadcast signal. Very powerful beeps etc. If you fly close enough to the station, and or dock with it, a second sound, that of the stations overall 'hum' should become noticable (from around 10km inward).

Other sounds have had their base increased slightly, along with a overall deeping of the effect to convey size and power.

More
18 years 7 months ago #13708 by cambragol
Okay, I had a crash to desktop. This was of the classic variety, i.e. immediately after coming out of a capsule jump. I should note that I had been playing the game for about 3 hours straight prior to this without any problems. Also, looking at my log I suspect that the game was doing one of its buggy jumps, taking me from Emerald system directly to Alcuin, without passing through Bedalov. I tried saving (succesfullly) about one second prior to jumping. Maybe that had an effect....I will save the log if you want it GrandpaTrout. I should also note that there are a number of 'bad handle (0)' messages in the log.

More
18 years 7 months ago #13709 by cambragol
Okay, now this is interesting. Going back to the save I made, I reproduce the CTD by trying to continue onto the station I had targetted in Alcuin.

Well, it seems I can reproduce the CTD everytime. Now, Grandpatrout, perhaps we could use this save I made to figure out this crash, once and for all..

More
18 years 7 months ago #13710 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Epic 7.7 Beta
Great! Please email me the save. With just a little bit of luck this autopilot code will prevent that crash from ever appearing. Unless manual piloting has the same effect.

[Edit]The sounds changes were really good. You notice them right away. Someday I want to add a very short range crackle sound to the LDSI sound object that makes it really feel like you pass through the LDSI barrier field. I have always liked the long range pulsing, but I think it would be cool to make use of the field 10km range and moving sound object.