Multiplay and Star systems

More
19 years 7 months ago #11645 by Joco
Replied by Joco on topic Multiplay and Star systems
Thanks MajorTom. Sounds like and interesting function.

I've been trying to run up an MP server but with no luck. Both my machine runs WinXP. I have set the EoC exe to be Win98 compatiable and set my local to USA. However whenever I try to start a MP server it just sits there for a while then tells me loader.exe has crashed and EoC just crashes to desktop.

Bit of a bugger really.

Joco.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 7 months ago #11646 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Multiplay and Star systems
You can try setting your loader.exe to win98/ME compatibility mode too.
It is in <EOC directory>/bin/release.

What do you mean by "set my local to USA" ?
You shouldn't change "query_location" in the [FcServer] section of flux.ini. Even with the US version it should read:
"query_location = UK"

If thats not the problem it is probably your firewall. Information about the ports that need to be opened are on my site.

You could try installing a loopback (as also described on my site). It's pretty easy to just open the firewall completly for a specified adapter (the loopback adapter).
If you'll be pogging for MP a loopback is very usefull anyhow because it keeps you from having to go online everytime you start a game for a test.

Whenever the loader does crash always hit CTR/ALT/DEL and make sure no other instances of loader.exe are running. (occasionally the app will start twice which invariably causes continous crashes on all subsequent attempts to start).

If you're absolutly sure it's not the firewall the only other possibility is that something is messed up with your ship/map/package files.

You can use the below word document (with screenshots of the folders contents) as a guideline to check if the paths, folders and filenames are correct:

mjrtom.bei.t-online.de/bilder/MpFilesHelp.zip

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 7 months ago #11647 by Joco
MajorTom, Found it. Got to love NAT.

After buggering around with the NAT on my router I found the references to local loopback. And for the testing I want to do that is eactly what I need.

I have seen a number of references to "Dedicated MP Server" - Just what is this? From what I have been able to see you start MP Server then you are in it as a player. Is there a way to start a server that doesn't have all the front end gui stuff. Or that doesn't have you end up as a player in the game? i.e. as "true" dedicated server.

Thanks heaps,
Joco.

More
19 years 7 months ago #11648 by MajorTom
Ahh, it was your router. NAT would definatly explain the crashes.

You can run a true dedicated server. If you download the Epic Online mod there is a detailed explanation in: Readme/English/General.doc

(you'll just have to make adjustments for the maps and packages you want to cycle instead of using the Epic stuff)

More
19 years 6 months ago #11649 by Joco
AH! That spells it out quite nicely. Might be worth putting that on a "Dedicated Server Setup" page on the Multiplayer web site. Heh - this is when a wiki site can come into it's own - as I would knock the entry up myself. :)

Cheers,
Joco.

More
19 years 6 months ago #11650 by MajorTom
Good idea, I'll add that to the site soon.

I wouldn't know how to make it into a wiki site. I don't have much knowledge on the html stuff, it's just made with a old Net Objects Fusion programm I got off of some PC magazine's CD.