Multiplay and Star systems

More
19 years 6 months ago #11652 by Joco
Replied by Joco on topic Multiplay and Star systems
Well I got the Dedicated Server (DS) running and a client connecting fine under a loopback network (i.e. on the same machine) but I can't for the life of me seem to get my #2 machine running a DS that I can see from my #1 machine on my LAN. I have tried with and without the XP firewall running. I have specified the 2302/2313 ports being open for UDP and just for saftey TCP. Still no joy. Both machines can see each other on the network - I can ping each one no problem.

Is there something clever I am missing?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 6 months ago #11653 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic Multiplay and Star systems
If you can access files from one PC to the other you should be able to play. However, EOC MP works on TCP/IP only (not on Netbui, Netbios or IPX). The problem could also well be somewheres in the router configuration. (I've played lots of games with a hub or a switch (and all possible combinations of Windows O/S) but never with an active network component like a router.)

Some "dumb" questions:

You are looking for the LAN game using the LAN button and not the "Internet game" button?
Did you deactivate the loopback for/during the LAN game?
There are several other ports besides the ones you mentioned that have to be opened too.

Have you tried (can you try) a LAN game without your router?

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 6 months ago #11658 by Joco
Ah - sorry - dumb me. Forgot to turn off the loop-back. Got it working now. Mind you it seems to be a bit sluggish in finding the server. It seems to take me 3-5 refreshes before finding the server.

Anyway, now I have a working DS and now I start mucking about with POG. First off is to try out having a couple of jump points that trigger a different map load on the server.

Cheers,
Joco.

More
19 years 6 months ago #11659 by MajorTom
Sometimes it is slow to find the server for the first time but it should be there immediatly on subsequent refreshes.

I would suggest you set up your jump point (waypoint) as an additional part of the server main function. That should insure it is in the same position for all players on the server. (Don't use a task or detached task due to likely propogation delay times when multiple players join simultanously).

Then you can monitor the players position relative to the jump point for example, using the detached server_range_check task function (since you are monitoring all the players position in there anyhow).

Once you've detected a jump candidate via the server task, you can propogate that event to the client(s) using an iMultiplay.ServerSendUserMessage(...); command,
and set the client in question to iMultiplay.ClientSetRequestedToCycle( true );
followed by an end game call to that client (or just use: GUI.PopScreensTo( "icPDAOverlayManager" ); on that client).

"that Client" or "the client in question" means:
The easiest way to discern if 'you' are the client in question is to do a iShip.FindPlayerShip(); on each of the clients that recieve the server event message and then compare it with the sim that was propogated via iMultiplay.ServerSendUserMessage(...); command. i.e
if (iShip.FindPlayerShip() == iShip.Cast( sim )) do_it;
else do_nothing;

[Edit: because, from the (each) clients perspective there is only 1 player ship in the game, and that is the client player himself.]

After the player has (or all of them have) left the server you can call end game on the server and commence with cycling. For a start I would use the standard cycling process (flux.ini provides map and package data) and then build up from there. Meaning:

I dunno, but if you want to cycle the server with a non flux based and completly dynamic map selection function, you may have to run a seperate, non-dedicated server (with a hidden dummy client) so that you can use the iMultiplay.ClientOptionsSetServerMap( string map ); together with the other related commands, on it just before you end the game and cycle.

More
19 years 6 months ago #11691 by Joco
Good stuff. Anyone would think you wanted me to get this working. LOL ;-)

Now - if I can just get enough time from the chores my wife has lined up for me to do the necessary hours on this. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Joco.

More
19 years 6 months ago #11701 by MajorTom
Of course, I would like to see you get it working :)

I hope you enjoy it and also experience the satisfying feeling of accomplishing something no one else has done yet.

If you need/want some sample scripts for the jump point or the position polling and client handling functions (like those used in EpicOnline) feel free to send me an email.