The capital of the Terran Star Empire

More
19 years 9 months ago #18197 by Second Chance

Thought everyone might get a kick out of a shot from the SpaceMaster T/C. Nothing big really, but it was fun to fly around our solar system. Every planet has the correct texture and I'm still adding the rest of the five billion planetary moons our system has. And everything is to-scale, so it takes a while to fly to the outer planets.

btw - The moon in the navigation lock is actually behind the planet, not the planet itself. ;)

*edit*
You know, now that I look at it; I think I'm going to replace the planet meshes with higher-poly versions so they're a lot smoother up close.

Oh yeah, does anyone (GrandpaTrout?) know how to get planets to not have a cloud texture? Aside from designating it as a moon. The cloud commands in the geogSDK don't work. At all. With any values.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #11198 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
Bye the way the name of the 'the moon' is not ' the moon'. Its 'Lunar'. Just like The Earth is either called 'Earth' or 'Terra'. I personally prefer the anglo-saxxon origin of 'Earth'.

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

More
19 years 9 months ago #11199 by Second Chance
Thanks. You mean Luna. :)

I'll change it once I get some of the other moons in.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 9 months ago #11200 by Jwk the Hemp Monkey
nooo, its Lunar. As in the 'Lunar Landings' :P

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

More
19 years 9 months ago #11201 by Tarcoon
:D

There is no safe distance

There is no safe distance

More
19 years 9 months ago #11203 by Second Chance
How about that, I was more right the first time. I'm even too quick for myself! [8D]

<font size="3">What are the names of the earth, moon, sun, and solar system?</font id="size3">

October 2002, Britt Scharringhausen

The name of our planet is the Earth. The name of our moon is the Moon. The name of our solar system is the Solar System.

Notice that I capitalize them, because when used as names, they are proper nouns. This also helps us distinguish between the planet Earth and earth (meaning soil), between the Earth's Moon and moon (meaning the natural satellite of a planet), and between our Solar System and any other solar systems (since any system containing a star and a planet or a planet-forming disk can be called a solar system.)

This is the usage approved by the International Astronomical Union, the body in charge of naming celestial objects. It may seem odd that these important objects don't have names, but if you think about it, it just reinforces their importance. For example, the Moon is the Moon, not just any moon. It requires no other name, because it's the most important moon!

You may read or hear people using Luna for the Moon, or Terra or Gaia for the Earth, or Sol for the Sun, but these are poetic terms, often seen in science fiction stories, but not used by astronomers in scientific writing.

It's also interesting to note that most astronomers do not call our galaxy the Milky Way in technical writing--they call it the Galaxy.

Here's where you'll find the relevant info:
curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=289

Any further complaints should be addressed to the. . .
International Astronomical Union
( www.iau.org/ )
. . .where they will probably be ignored. :D

Tarcoon, was that smile because you knew what was coming; or because you thought I was actually wrong about something? [}:)] (Wooo! Now that's ego!)