The capital of the Terran Star Empire

More
19 years 1 month ago #12764 by AcesHigh
regarding different technologies posts:

I dont think if human arised again from ashes (lets say, after a meteor impact), they would develop completely different technologies.

The way you talk, it seems there was only ONE human civilization on Earth. Nope... there were SEVERAL civilizations, many of them had LITTLE contact with each other... even still... they basically ended up developing about the same technologies to arrive at the same technological level. Civilizations who were not able to discover something that other civilizations had discovered fell back...

The most different civilizations were probably the Incas, Astecas and Mayas. Incredibly, they never discovered IRON. I am not sure, but I think the only metal they knew was gold. They also NEVER DISCOVERED THE WHEEL!!

On the other hand, they had good astronomy and were very good builders... some buildings in Machu Pichu have stones so well cut that still today we cannot make such cuttings so perfectly. You cant pass a sheet of paper between the stones junctions... and mind you... they didnt used even concrete, like the romans used to "glue" stones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #12766 by Second Chance

. . . actually, Earth, the Sun and Earth´s moon DO NOT have names.

Did you even read this thread!? In my third post I quoted directly from, and linked directly to, the International Astronomical Union, the official international body in charge of naming celestial objects.

What evidence do you present to support your opinion? What are your credentials for making such an outrageous claim? Are you a world renowned astronomer? If you are, great! But if not, you'd better make with the proof. I hate it when people just jump into a thread and declare; "Here are the absolute facts because I said so." Without even the slightest evidence to support their claim. Or the slightest explanation of how they arrived at their conclusion.

So you say these bodies have no names. Prove it. I'm more than willing to listen to your evidence. But please, at least provide some. Don't just jump in and make broad declarations of fact. And try reading the supporting evidence first, as well.

I don't mean to be rude, but this is exactly the kind of thing that makes my head explode.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 1 month ago #12771 by EricMan64
I don't remember how the argument started (read it, just not recently:p), but I'm just going to put in my 2/100ths of an interstellar credit. When making stuff for a game, you can call them whatever you want. In these games, its all in the future anyway, so official names can change. Just call the celestial bodies whatever you think sounds coolest. Personally, I prefer Earth, Moon, and Sol. There is no right or wrong way to name them in a game, so you could call your Earth "Planet of the Apes" if you really wanted to.

More
19 years 1 month ago #12780 by Second Chance

"Planet of the Apes"

I'm starting to think that this is where I live. [xx(]

EricMan, you are of course absolutely right reguarding games. But what I get is that he's saying that right now, at this moment, on Earth, these celestial bodies have no names. Thus:

just for info (arriving late in this thread), actually, Earth, the Sun and Earth´s moon DO NOT have names.

More
19 years 1 month ago #12781 by EricMan64
Well, like I said, I don't remember how we started arguing about the names, so I don't know if the context is just in games or general.

And on a related note (or completely unrelated, but I try not worry about details like that), it's been way too long since you last changed the sev trek cartoon in your signature. I need a fresh laugh. Fresh! Like apples.

*runs off rambling incoherently*

More
19 years 1 month ago #12784 by Second Chance
Duly noted. :)