file Act 2 - Backdoor to Mwari

More
16 years 5 months ago #16674 by wmdragon
Replied by wmdragon on topic Act 2 - Backdoor to Mwari

Originally posted by NugentS

I have tried formatting with a departing freighter - no good.

hmmm, I just did that last night and it worked: formatted with a blue-tagged freighter, crossed the L-point, went home and saved the game. finally! thinking I had figured it out, I gave it another try, to see if I could save more freighters and increase the reward. no go. the weird bug struck again, this time after clearing the mines but *before* engaging the enemy. it is as if my ship disappeared from the game, but I retained a point of view fixed in space.

whatever, I'm also done with it, on to the next missions. the reward was nice but nothing special. again, good luck fellow pira- I mean, rubbish collecting civil servant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #17097 by Spinner
Replied by Spinner on topic Act 2 - Backdoor to Mwari
Even on a much nicer system (it's 2011 now doh) that bug persists.

Lots of frustration later, (read: pressing the reset button):

Edited the ini files to have a hotkey that kills the boogies
Leave the system before the freighters and wait on the other end till they appear.
Fly home and save game :)

Remove changes from ini files or not, upto you.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Description to edit the ini file :

First open the defaults.ini file in the main dir and change developer_mode=0 to developer_mode=1
Then go to configs folder and add these lines to the default.ini file under the cheat key section (down at the bottom)

[icPlayerPilot.DevKillCurrentTarget]
Keyboard, X, CTRL, ALT

Not the most elegant solution, but this bug prevents you from playing this awesome game, even in the year 2011.
My joystick awaits me eagerly, so long pilots

More
5 years 4 months ago #20711 by Actium
Replied by Actium on topic Act 2 - Backdoor to Mwari
This bug also appears to be affecting EoC running under Wine on Linux, but I just figured out a reliable workaround:

1.) Jump from Pestur to Dadgda Alpha Prime to trigger the mission
2.) Immediately jump back to Pestur without destroying the mines
3.) Wait in Pestur for the mission to complete (the "destroy mines" objective will fail, but the remaining objectives will complete and Jarvis will thank you)

That's it. Tried it twice and worked both times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 7upMan, schmatzler

More
5 years 4 months ago #20712 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic Act 2 - Backdoor to Mwari
:O I had not thought of this method! Nice discovery! ;)

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
5 years 4 months ago #20713 by Actium
Replied by Actium on topic Act 2 - Backdoor to Mwari
I just stumbled upon this by chance, when I jumped to Dagda's main L-point by accident and noticed that the mission started and objectives (except for the final one) got completed in rapid succession without having jumped to Dagda Alpha Prime. With that observation, figuring out the workaround was not difficult.

@schmatzler: Maybe it's worth it to add this workaround to the FAQ to make sure no one playing this game will get stuck on it. I'd write a paragraph you could add, if you're interested.

More
5 years 4 months ago #20714 by IronDuke
Replied by IronDuke on topic Act 2 - Backdoor to Mwari
I think everyone who plays the game encounters this bug at some point. It is fortunate that it's not a mission particularly relevant to the plot.

Man, I'd give a lot to be able to properly debug it. I'm dying to know what causes it XD Out of all the various tasks of a programmer, debugging is for me the most fascinating by far.

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)