Beams don't seem to be Beams

More
20 years 5 months ago #7787 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Beams don't seem to be Beams
Well, that's something new. I had no idea you could destroy the umbilicals with a quad light. :D

Glad you got past it, Demiurgo. If you can do that, you really don't need the beams for the rest of the game. But, if you like, I'll post the contents of the cutting beam ini file and you can compare them to yours and see if there's a difference. But I bet there's no difference at all. You seem to have enough power.

I wonder; is there some turbo-type function on your joystick? It almost sounds like the command to fire the beams is being repeated as long as the joystick button is being depressed. So, instead of one long signal to show the beam is firing, you're getting a 'stuttering' signal (which would be fine for any other weapon, but not beams).

Just a thought.

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #7788 by Tarcoon
AAhh - great suggestion Shane - sounds relevant.

Sir

There is no safe distance

More
20 years 5 months ago #7789 by Sivadrake
that does sound like a weird problem though, i'd say shane might be close with the turbo fire idea, because beams take time to get to their maximum range, if you press the fire key quickly you just get little bursts. if you use a joystick, try to put the controls on keyboard only in your in game options then just hold down space to fire, if your beams still dont work correctly, then..... i dunno. I like beams for work on destroyers or cruisers, the big ships with thick shields that pbcs just dont cut it on (much less a quad-light;)) and in one of the last missions they work great on the jump accelerator (that mission had me stumped for a week my first time)or you can just go with a d-blow rem mass destruction works well too

"Faith lies in the ways of sin"

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

More
20 years 5 months ago #7790 by EricMan64
Joystick sounds like the most likely cause of the problem. It would be difficult for an error in the ini file to cause this problem and the fact that this is with all three beam lasers suggests against that as well. Also, I don't believe there is anything for beams in flux.ini that could create this trouble.

More
20 years 5 months ago #7794 by Demiurgo

I wonder; is there some turbo-type function on your joystick? It almost sounds like the command to fire the beams is being repeated as long as the joystick button is being depressed. So, instead of one long signal to show the beam is firing, you're getting a 'stuttering' signal (which would be fine for any other weapon, but not beams).

Uhhmmm, I haven't realized about that. I have no joystick and I asked a friend to let me his Wingman Light (2 axis, 2 fire buttons) and I don't know exactly how does it Work, but I remember that when I played on the GamesInferno Edge of Chaos beta (far time ago) the Mining Laser worked OK. If I have a minute later i'll try and told you.

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

More
20 years 5 months ago #7795 by Demiurgo
I mean that I played it only with keyboard :D and it worked OK

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran