Beams don't seem to be Beams

More
20 years 5 months ago #17852 by Demiurgo
Hello

This is my fisrs posting here, so hello everybody :D.
I'm stucked on Dante's Inferno mission, having problems taking off the "umbilical connections" between the station and the cruiser. I cannot target the "umbilical" in any way. I have tried with the Image Module, placing myself about 600 metres away from the station and I cannot subtarget any part of the station. Well, I supossed it was not a problem because I would get down the "umbilicals" anyway, but I cannot.

I have realised that my Cutting Beam (and also the Comms Laser and Minning Laser) works in a very strange way.
First, they dont seem to be real "beams" because they are getting on and off very fast (about 3 times per second, or even faster) so I have not a continuos beam, I have a "flashing" one.
Second, they don't have the ranges that are told in the Encyclopedia. I switch to the 3rd person point of view and the Beams (all of them) end really near of the starting point, about 200 metres (not 2.5 kilometers!) of my ship, so I cannot cut anything with this low range ray [xx(].

Have somebody seen something similar? I cannot take down this mission!

Thanks [|)]

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 5 months ago #7782 by andrewas
I seem to remember reading about this bug somewhere, but I can't turn it up at the moment. Do you have the patch installed? Any mods?

Anyway, the beam travels out quite slowly so if its rapid firing for soem reason, it will never get to a significant range. Use a PBC of some kind instead, the first time I tried this mission I hadn't come to appreciate the joys of beam weapnary and left the cutters at home, but my neut PBCs got the job done. You won't be able to target the umbilicals, so switch of aim assit (x key) and use the reticle.

More
20 years 5 months ago #7783 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Beams don't seem to be Beams
Hello Demiurgo. Welcome to the forum.

The mission is set up so that you cannot target the umbilical connections. It's something you have to aim manually for... and be pretty quick about it too. :D

As far as the flickering, short-range beams;

1.) Do you have mods installed? Is your game patched?

2.) Do you have enough power to run the beams? The cutting beams are made to be used in short bursts. If you fire them continuously you will run out of power and the beams will flicker and will have little range. This is normal behaviour for them. Watch the beam power meter at the top left HUD and see what the power is doing when you're firing the beams.

Hmmm... Other than that, I can't really think of anything which might be solution.

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

More
20 years 5 months ago #7784 by Demiurgo
Hello again

I have just re-installed EOC to eliminate all mods I was using. They were:
+ Crosshair
+ Multimod
+ Location Finder
+ Custom Jafs
+ The Lights and Sound enhancement
Now the game is completely free of mods, but it still doesn¡t work [:(] (the Beams I mean). About the power i'm using the Heavy Corvette with the Hig Yiel Inyector = 5000 KW of power. The fact is that the power indicator of the beam (left side of the screen) gets dows REALLY slowly, it can waste a whole minute (60 seconds) to get to 0%. I suppose this is because the beam is not really firing, its going on and off quickly [xx(]

Well, i have been trying to manually target the umbilicals (disabling the aim assitant) but I cannot take them down. I suppose it must be more difficult without using a cutting or minnig laser, so i'll try one time and another using those Neutrons to get them down :p.

<font color="red">Andrewas</font id="red">, if you find something about this possible bug (i've been serching yet but i've found nothing) please tell me.

Thanks guys.

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran

More
20 years 5 months ago #7785 by Tarcoon
Hi Demiurgo,

strange behaviour of your lasers, no idea to fix that. Maybe Shane should send you his laser.ini's - he knows about that stuff.
Is there a mod that changes the lasers? Maybe you installed it before?
Did you check the maindirectory of EoC after uninstalling? Maybe there was something left?

It's not necessary to have lasers aboard your 'vette, aim manually, cycle through your loadout while recharging - I used my quad-pbc too - and these umbilicals are gone within a few seconds.

There is no safe distance

More
20 years 5 months ago #7786 by Demiurgo
Greetings again

+ After uninstalling I manually deleted the EOC folder from my hardisk, AND I eliminated all windows registry entries related to EOC
+ I have not used any mod not listed before, when i finish the game i will try iFlee and GoldRush at least, and of course the new Buda5 (i've played the Buda5 for i-war 1 :D)
+ I have been looking the cutting_beam.ini in the Player folder and into the Weapons one, and everything seems to be OK

Well, but about one hour ago :D I FINISHED :D the Dante mission, destroying the Umbilical pipes with the more powerful weapon in the known space: the Quad Light PBC :p. It's not a beam, it's not powerful, but at least it lets me aim good to the damm umbilicals [8D]

Thanks everybody again! [|)]

Edge Of Chaos rookie
I-War veteran