Is anyone still playing in 2018?

More
9 years 3 months ago #19241 by Sarxis
I still play it. Still haven't beaten it completely since it's release in 2001 either!

I've had several mods for the game, and just can't let it go. The story, the systems, the ships: it's still so good just to go flying around.

I love playing the Firefly soundtrack in the background while I play :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #19242 by schmatzler
A good choice - Firefly is awesome! :)

A happy new year to you all! Now we have 2015 and I'm still playing. Although flying to the mission points really takes a while, even with the Autopilot. I'm playing the game in small doses, that works best for me.

Space. The final frontier.

More
9 years 3 months ago #19248 by trooper
I was talking to a corp friend in EVE about old games and I told him about IWAR2. we searched and found this site. I was surprised anyone was still playing.
told my friend about the great storyline and the fun I had. I created an account here and plan to install the game and see if it will work.
if I get it to work again, I might have to go out and get a joy stick too..........lol
thx for the effort to bring back one of the great games.....

More
9 years 3 months ago #19252 by Midgardsormr
As I recall, it took a little fiddling, but I did get it to run in Vista. I run it in compatibility mode for XP Service Pack 2.

If you don't know how to do that, once it's installed, right-click on the executable or the icon you use to launch it and choose "Properties." There should be a tab in the properties window called "Compatibility."

I haven't tried it in any OS more recent than Vista.

More
9 years 2 months ago #19290 by danslb
I got a Saitek ST90 second hand, a few months ago and was looking at games I could play with it.
I remebered playing I-was when it came out but never really getting into it. I got the GOG versions (both I-war 1+2) ags ago and had forgotten about it. I started playing through the I-war 1 campaign last week and the next mission I´m up against is Morgan. Such a great and overlooked game. A few odd things I ´ve noticed:

1. there is a bug where sometimes enemies don't take damage from hits inflicted on them. I read that this is because of modern CPU's or something.

2. I want to change the power destribution settings (the triangle in the engineering screen) but it is grayed out and I can't move the courser inside the triangle.

3. At work, I have a 1080 screen and the game launched full screen 16:9. But at home on my lower rez laptop (where I have the joystick) it launches smaller, in 4:3 with black bands.

I plan on playing through I-war and the indie campaign and then starting on I-war 2. While all my friends are playing Elite now, I feel more compelled to play somethign with a good story to justify all the work. Stuff like Elite just ends up being a huge sandbox. I hope Star Citizen fleshes it all out the same way I´war does!

More
9 years 2 months ago #19297 by 7upMan

danslb wrote: 1. there is a bug where sometimes enemies don't take damage from hits inflicted on them. I read that this is because of modern CPU's or something.

Yes, it's a timing issue that occurs because modern systems are way too fast for the (IIRC) 100 fps limit that's needed for proper timing. Enforcing vsync should alleviate the problem.

2. I want to change the power destribution settings (the triangle in the engineering screen) but it is grayed out and I can't move the courser inside the triangle.

Sorry, can't help you with that. I never had any issues with that.

3. At work, I have a 1080 screen and the game launched full screen 16:9. But at home on my lower rez laptop (where I have the joystick) it launches smaller, in 4:3 with black bands.

You play at work?!? o.O

I plan on playing through I-war and the indie campaign and then starting on I-war 2. While all my friends are playing Elite now, I feel more compelled to play somethign with a good story to justify all the work. Stuff like Elite just ends up being a huge sandbox. I hope Star Citizen fleshes it all out the same way I´war does!

I share exactly the same sentiments about Elite. I had cancelled my donation to Elite on Kickstarter back in the day because of how utterly bad and laze the campaign had started. To this day, I don't regret it. E:D is NOT the game I was looking for.