Frustration with missiles

More
21 years 4 weeks ago #17725 by thanakar
I've been trying this game out now for a week and I must say that avoiding missiles seems almost pointless since it never seems to work. I have one hand on the joystick and another on the keyboard and have tried ducking, dodging, lateral thrusting and I still get tagged by missiles repeatedly. Lateral thrusting, forward thrusting and rolling seldom work with me in avoiding oncoming missiles. I've tried lateral thrusting as soon as I get the missile warning and I've also tried waiting till later, and the blasted things still tag me. Recently I was doing the Marauder cache mission and as soon as I popped into the area all three bogies fired multiple missiles at me and blew me away within four or five seconds, and that was with full lateral thrusting to try to avoid the oncoming projectiles. I was finally able to beat the mission but turning off the autopilot about 130 klicks from the cache. That gave the turret fighters and me ample time to set up our own missile run.

Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5592 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Frustration with missiles
Your ability to dodge and/or spoof missiles is limited to and dependent upon several factors. A) The speed of your craft (the tug is certainly not the fastest of ships), B) The quality of the ECM system (which is very low at the start of the game), and C) Plain old experience (I've played for some time...I don't think about dodging missiles anymore -- I do it automatically).

As you progress through the game, you'll receive new systems and ships which make incoming missiles less dangerous, and the skills to use them. It's a learning curve we all followed.

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5601 by Jwk
Replied by Jwk on topic Frustration with missiles
ldsi-missiles do a shock wave that is powerful enough to disturb electircal equipment. Although this doesn affect a ship with its armour...a missile tends to malfunction and explode. firing an ldsi missile at the closest enemy takes out missiles...be it yours or theirs

Jwk...comander of =HEMP HUNGRY MONKEY=
www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=310

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5605 by They_HunGer
I just use the override thrusters and go forward or whatever direction(not to the missile)

~C.C. Rocks~

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5608 by Jwk
Replied by Jwk on topic Frustration with missiles
nope. The missile will still hit ya...if you see the direction of the missile and then go at a high speed just to the side of it....well if you do it right the missile will whistle past your hull as it cant turn fast enough

More
21 years 3 weeks ago #5611 by Flamineo
Replied by Flamineo on topic Frustration with missiles
Quick summary of info in other threads not covered in this one yet:

Are you diverting full power to engines? The tug and corvette will have trouble missile-dodging with a balanced TRI.

Try waiting until the missile is about to hit, facing 90 degrees to your current vector, and double-tapping 'L' (this is a useless tactic in an LDSi field, obviously, but highly effective otherwise).

You could try the manual countermeasures mod (countermeasures launch automatically anyway, but you may be able to do better by hand).

My Contact Filter script gives you the option of making missiles targetable. This isn't enormously helpful, since you'll still have trouble shooting them down before they hit you, but it may help you keep track of where they're coming from on the orb. Note that, like any script mod, this may have as yet undiscovered conflicts with the original game's mission scripts.