The cargo Hunt game

More
19 years 9 months ago #10918 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic The cargo Hunt game
Alrighty then, here's my thoughts on the wonderful cargo hunt game.

note: each tunnel element is between 15 and 20 km long so don't expect too much speed sensation as you fly through them.

No, that's completely backwards. With tunnels that long you should get an awsome "flying fast through a tube" feeling. The reason you don't feel like you're flying fast is because the tunnels are too huge. They're way to wide! They should be much narrower and more cramped, then you'd get a wicked sensation of speed when flying through them (just like inside the Death Star in RotJ). The pricipal of the cavernous interiors is awsome, but they should be connected by much narrower tunnels.

I also had a great idea for the back story and map setup (well, I think it's a great idea anway :D). How about, instead of cargo pods, you're trying to destroy hidden detection equipment of the enemy (or something like that)? It sort of rationalizes why you would be trying to search and destroy these things in the caves. It was just an idea, but I thought if you replaced the cargo pods with some kind of cool satellite model or something it would give the player more satisfaction when he destroys it (well, more than an anonymous cargo pod anyway). And it really provides fuel for the back story.

One last thing, about the maps in general; they're too dark. The SW universe doesn't have that harsh realistic space lighting like EoC (and real-life) do. It also makes things (like the asteroid entrances) hard to see, and hard to find. I would suggest lightening them considerably. Do this by adjusting the properties of the light named <fill> in the .lws file for the map. I suggest a light color close to white (255 255 255). Then increase the light intensity until your happy with the results.

All that's left to say is: Wow, who made this map? Getting all those asteriods together into a labyrinth like that must have been hell. Awsome work to whoever made it. [8D]

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 9 months ago #10933 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic The cargo Hunt game

Originally posted by Second Chance

Alrighty then, here's my thoughts on the wonderful cargo hunt game.

With tunnels that long you should get an awsome "flying fast through a tube" feeling. The reason you don't feel like you're flying fast is because the tunnels are too huge. They're way to wide! They should be much narrower and more cramped, then you'd get a wicked sensation of speed when flying through them (just like inside the Death Star in RotJ). The pricipal of the cavernous interiors is awsome, but they should be connected by much narrower tunnels.

You are probably right about that. Can you make a model with a narrower tunnel? The model should be the same length though otherwise the whole map will be out of allignment

I also had a great idea for the back story and map setup (well, I think it's a great idea anway :D). How about, instead of cargo pods, you're trying to destroy hidden detection equipment of the enemy (or something like that)? It sort of rationalizes why you would be trying to search and destroy these things in the caves. It was just an idea, but I thought if you replaced the cargo pods with some kind of cool satellite model or something it would give the player more satisfaction when he destroys it (well, more than an anonymous cargo pod anyway). And it really provides fuel for the back story.

Thats brilliant! great idea! [^]
We've got a good model of a comms antenne in the game (from the mission where you had to steal it from the marauders to send a message back from the hidden L-point)

One last thing, about the maps in general; they're too dark. The SW universe doesn't have that harsh realistic space lighting like EoC (and real-life) do. It also makes things (like the asteroid entrances) hard to see, and hard to find. I would suggest lightening them considerably. Do this by adjusting the properties of the light named <fill> in the .lws file for the map. I suggest a light color close to white (255 255 255). Then increase the light intensity until your happy with the results.

They are too dark, I'll look into that. Hopefully it is as easy to do as you say

All that's left to say is: Wow, who made this map? Getting all those asteriods together into a labyrinth like that must have been hell. Awsome work to whoever made it. [8D]

A guy named DukeOmsk made the original version for the what_rocksv2 mod. (I only changed it a bit for our purposes.)
It was a real B**ch to make. You need hours of patientence (and a warped mind?) because you have to visualize the 3D positions of each object in the (2D) ini file

Btw, it does show an example of the extreme positional accuracy you can achieve. We'll be using this to place gun turrets on the DS ect.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #10935 by Second Chance

Can you make a model with a narrower tunnel?

MajorTom, I will make you anything you want [^]. All I need is time.

Glad you liked the cargo hunt idea. :D

Changing the map lighting should be as easy as typing a few strokes on your keyboard. I don't think it'll give you any trouble.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 9 months ago #11239 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic The cargo Hunt game
We now have a "coop" version of the Search and destroy game. Each Cargo pods has been replaced with an antenna and they are (all 10 of them) now "Red" in your contact list.

Changing the lighting on the maps isn't as easy as expected: changing the light to be whiter makes the reflections look wierd because they don't match with the map colors. If I leave them at the original color and increase the intensity a lot it causes a bit of a preformance hit.

SC, Were you using your custom field of view setting (0.6 or whatever) when you found the maps to be too dark? I don't find them really too dark except perhaps when you are in the shadow of the asteroids.

Shadows are, generaly speaking, darker than thier surroundings anyhow, mostly. ;)

You mentioned the entrance to the asteroids were hard to find ???
The tunnels have flashing red "position lights" on them. Didn't you see those??

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 9 months ago #11247 by Second Chance
Yeah, they weren't that bad. I just thought they would benefit from being a little lighter. Actually, I think I need to adjust the my monitor gamma. Everything's too dark for me in general, not just EoC.