The cargo Hunt game

More
19 years 8 months ago #18163 by MajorTom
The cargo Hunt game was created by MajorTom

Originally posted by MajorTom

Could you explain the basics of the current MP game types to me? Since I don't play MP much I get a little ahead of myself when I say things.

Thats not easy to do and I had hoped you could do it (for the final version) because you write better than I do.

I can't really explain the concept, It's like trying to explain the Free Form mod. I can only explain the concept via the gameplay rules.
I guess the basics are:
- Ships have roll based weapon designs and functionality

- A semi-dynamic point system with different points for each ship type, station or objective object. Player ships count between 1 and 5 points: fighter 1, interceptor 2, Bomber 4, CUV 5 (we can change that though) A station or gunstar maybe 50 or 100 points.

-Here is the basic idea of the "Cargo Hunt" game.

It's a very simple map,
a) A base for the players on each side to dock to to reload weapons and heal The base stations are armed. They can also be protected by "Defense Turrets" that are deployable by a CUV pilot. Bases are destructable and count 100 points.

b) There are 5 cargo pods for each team to protect. Each pod counts 20 points. They have a Sh**load of hit points, so it takes a long time to destroy one with gunfire.

First team to get 150 points wins

c) Each of the pods are inside a big hollow asteroid about 7 km from the entrance. So you can't just fire missiles or throw bombs at them blindly. You have to at least go into the entrance to target them.
(the big trick in this game is actually the position of the pods inside the asteroid. They cannot be targeted in a straight line unless you go at least half way inside the entrance)

d) 2 of the five pods are antimatter pods (with an icMajorTom AntimatterBomb). You can't see the contents of the pod on your UCP scanner and thier locations are changed randomly each time you start the map. If you are just inside the entrance and pull back immediatly as it explodes you can outlive the AM explosion.

The rest is dynamic and more or less dependent on the players.

The game play can be:
As a fighter you protect your Pods or attack others. When attacking pods from just inside the entrance (so you don't get blown up and your teams points decremented) your six is very vernurable.

In a bomber you can try to chuck the pods through the entrance of the hollow asteroid. If you hit the outside of the Asteroid it will do no damage to the pod inside. (It might richochett off and endanger your teammates!) You don't have much room to line up a bomb shot so you'll be going very slow and desperatly need cover from your fighters.

You probably won't try to attack the enemy base, except as a last resort, because it's well situated and well protected. An all out Last Draw attack would however be very exciting to stop.

There are lots of ways to play the game. You can discuss tactics in the Game Spy chatroom pre-game or use TeamSpeak. You can also agree teams by those means.
One of the weakpoints for this type of gameplay is you need do some pre-game planning to really exploit all the features. But, lots of guys just join and start shooting. Thats why it's key to have the game very easily and immediatly comprehendable for anyone who joins mid game.
You can however (if you have enough player potential) easily set a password for your server to make sure others don't just burst in and mess things up.

The Search and Destroy game is basically the same, but you have to go through a maze of tunnels to get to the pods. Map savvy is key here!

Does that explain it?

There were no responses to this. any questions, suggestions.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 8 months ago #10822 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic The cargo Hunt game
Yes, this actually was quite helpful. You should paste this text into your assault game post and change the post title to Star Wars mod: gameplay modes.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 8 months ago #10834 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic The cargo Hunt game
I think there were still some questions open from other related threads?

for example: Why does the "Search and Destroy" map have a maze of tunnels [?]

The Hunt game above just has one each of the pods in Hollow asteroids. They are really easy to find, and the main battle will be close around them as protectors and attackers clinch! (probably at the entrance of each Hollow asteroid)

The tunnel maze map has the pods spread out and you have to navigate the maze through different junction points to find them. The pods are rather hard to find/get to, even though you can see them on sensors. You can also set up an ambush and attack approaching enemies inside the tunnels. (at the cost of not being able to protect your other pods while waiting for an enemy to stumble into your ambush.) The Maze also features several entrance points allowing you to intercept attackers.
A typical strategy for this game would be to swarm out in bombers and have a couple of fast interceptors to protect your own pods from attack.

You really need to try out this map to appreciate it and the possibilities it offers.

Unfortunatly (or ideally, depending on how you see it) bots cannot navigate the tunnels and can only provide support from the outside of the maze.

More
19 years 8 months ago #10895 by Second Chance
Yeah, I played in the maze. But unfortunatley, due to whatever testing was being done at the time, it felt like I was flying at 0.5 mph and it was really just annoying. I'm sure it'll be a lot more fun with the sensation of speed. I'll try the new version today.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 8 months ago #10898 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic The cargo Hunt game
in the current dev version the mod is setup for testing the Tie fighter and the X-Wing at slower speeds.

The other ships are at the original speed, so use a Tie/Int or an A-Wing if you want more speed as you go through the tunnels.

note: each tunnel element is between 15 and 20 km long so don't expect too much speed sensation as you fly through them.

More
19 years 8 months ago #10899 by Second Chance
That might actually have been the problem. The X-Wing I was flying had plenty of actual speed, it just felt like I wasn't moving. At the time, I blamed the lack of HUD lines, but maybe it was the texture scale. So it looked like the asteroid I was flying in was much smaller than it actually was, thus making me appear to move more slowly. I'll see what the new dev version has to offer.

Thanks for the heads up. [8D]