Project Simerge. Dead or in cold storage?

More
8 years 5 months ago #20008 by Thovian
A few years back when I was playing IW2 nonstop for hours at a time, I wasn't too keen on modifying the game. Frankly, I didn't know I could to the extent I can now. If i had known custom Jafs was there I certainly would have gotten that. I dislike Jafs. But in my search for mods and games like IW2, I stumbled across something interesting.

www.simerge.com/blog/

It's a cross between IW2 and X3. It incorporates seamless transition between space and planetary surfaces, walking in, around, and flying outside of moving ships as they fly or are parked, and allow boarding of other ships. I've been keeping an eye on it since I saw it but there seems to be no more updates coming from it since 2013. Sometimes these things just die, sometimes they just are forgotten and placed in cold storage until someone else shows interest.

Has anyone else got any information on this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chessking

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #20009 by 7upMan
How about you send the programmer (Alesto) an email? From his SourceForget site, it should be this: sourceforge.net/u/alesto/profile/

If anyone, he should be able to give you some insight. His project certainly looks interesting:

Who knows, maybe he ran into limitations of the IWar2 scripting engine or whatever... Anyway, I'd be happy if you'd keep us posted.

More
8 years 4 months ago #20010 by IronDuke
Whoa, that's awesome! I was unsure as to whether terrain could actually be implemented in I-war2 when I was working on my mod; seems like it can. :mrgreen:

That's something too good to let lie and die. I was actually planning on resurrecting a very stripped down version of my mod to have a hobby to work on when I'm burned out from Unity work at the end of each day. Plus, working with more than one programming language is a good idea. If we can get the code from this guy, I'll see how much can be done with it. B)

Someone else has now shown interest... :P

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
8 years 4 months ago #20012 by schmatzler

IronDuke wrote: If we can get the code from this guy, I'll see how much can be done with it. B)

I think the code is available here:

sourceforge.net/p/simerge/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/src/

Space. The final frontier.

More
8 years 4 months ago #20013 by IronDuke
Yep, much code. Hopefully that's the right stuff. I'll give it a look next week. :)

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
8 years 4 months ago #20014 by AdmiralZeratul
Very exciting indeed! It reminds me a bit of Rodina, a more recent title. Hopefully, IronDuke will be able to salvage the Simerge project. It's always a shame when promising projects die.

Although, it's worth noting that most ships in-universe aren't equipped for atmospheric reentry.

Overthinking is kind of a habit of mine.