file Project Simerge. Dead or in cold storage?

More
8 years 4 months ago #20016 by Thovian
Yes! Thank you IronDuke. If you need any help with anything PM me and I'll hand over my skype. I'd love to assist with anything regarding Simerge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #20018 by IronDuke

AdmiralZeratul wrote: Very exciting indeed! It reminds me a bit of Rodina, a more recent title. Hopefully, IronDuke will be able to salvage the Simerge project. It's always a shame when promising projects die.

Although, it's worth noting that most ships in-universe aren't equipped for atmospheric reentry.

It will definitely take quite a while, since I would have to figure out his style of coding to best understand the way he was doing things - he may not have even used a programming language I know, so that hurdle might be there as well.
But I have a habit of swinging punches at whatever seems too big for me, so I'll probably work on it until either it's finished or Christ comes again. (Funny, I said that about my space game too...) :silly:
By the way, there's more than one way to enter an atmosphere. You don't always have to smack it at 15,000 mph or anything. The EoC ships can accelerate at two dozen Gs, so you could bring yourself to a halt above the atmosphere, then slowly drop in like an elevator with thrusters. I think SpaceX is working ondoing something like that with their "Grasshopper" rocket.
Also, if anything can be learned from E: D Horizons, there's a lot of planets without atmospheres, moons in particular.

@Thovian
You're welcome! Although I'm still unsure of what you mean by "hand over your skype."

--IronDuke

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
8 years 3 months ago #20019 by Chessking
I am interested in this project as well. However, I already have a lot of projects stacked up. If I can make some good progress on several of them, I may take a look at the code.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 3 months ago #20026 by IronDuke
So apparently it's all in C++. :pinch: I only know C# and pog, so figuring out simerge could take years.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!! :evil:
Although someone who actually knows C++ could probably do it in much less time.

There's also a whole lot of dll files - I don't know yet whether there's any way to get the source for those. I haven't had much opportunity to dig the files yet. (I did get a 100% on my math test, so maybe it's not a terrible thing that studying keeps me from working on spacey awesomeness. :lol: )

That and I've been very busy fixing the stuff that broke when I updated Unity from 5.2 to 5.3. Took me DAYS to sort it all out, and there's still one thing twitching its eye at me.

--IronDuke

P.S. I know, I said "next week" I'd take a look at Simerge. I guess I have worse scheduling/ability-to-predict-timing than Josh Parnell. :blush:

Very little about the game is not known to me. Any questions you got, throw them at me. :)

More
8 years 3 months ago #20027 by 7upMan
As long as you won't get crazy over this... ;-)

More
8 years 3 months ago #20028 by IronDuke
Not likely... Good sleeping hours, my mom's mouthwatering foods - not the nasty canned carbs you get at the store - as well as only two days a week actually on the computer. Parental control... :|

But the real clincher is that I am already COMPLETELY CRAZY! :S :evil: Only someone who is completely NUTS can possibly be such a good pilot. :whistle:
Warning: Spoiler!

--IronDuke