My new job

More
18 years 2 months ago #18718 by Second Chance
My new job was created by Second Chance
In case nobody noticed; after a bout of posting, I dried up and haven't been around much recently. The reason was because I'd been cracking the books pretty hard brushing up on advanced flight techniques for a new job I'd been trying to get.

Well, bottom line: I got the job. I'm now an F.O. (First Officer) flying a pair of vintage DC-3's for an air freight company in Long Beach (still the same airport as my last job). Well, technically, I have to finish my DC-3 flight ops training before I can officially use the F.O. title. Since these are basically the kind of aircraft I've always dreamed of flying, I'll probably stay with these guys for a long while. If things go well, they may let me get type-rated for the aircraft, which will make me a Captain. [8D]

*edit*
Neat! I found some pics of our planes on the net.

This is 3JB and her cockpit.

This is 98C and her cockpit.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14735 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic My new job
Good for you! Can you explain for those of us who have never piloted an aircraft, what is the attraction of flying this kind of plane? As opposed to the newer models that you were flying to dealerships?

More
18 years 2 months ago #14739 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic My new job
Wow..nice work! Those planes look a little scary though.. Perhaps that is part of the thrill of flying them?

More
18 years 2 months ago #14745 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic My new job
Hi guys. Thanks. :)

Wow, well I could try to explain. I'm not sure how much sense my answer will make. If anyone understands what I'm saying and can explain better than me, go ahead.

cambragol nailed part of the reason dead-on. Flying planes like these hark back to older days when aviation was still an adventure. Pilots flew planes through pure skill and under difficult conditions. Men who could do it were considered "a cut above" the rest. Elite. They not only had the ability to do it, but they were willing to take on huge risks to themselves to "get the job done". So a part of just being a pilot is testosterone driven (for a guy, anyway). There's nothing quite like firing up 1200 horsepower engines fifteen feet away from you. The roar alone makes you feel like you can bend steel with your bare hands. That's one reason why planes like these are still flying. People pay big money just to get a tiny amount of flight time in them. And those of us who can't afford it, well, we just dream of flying them. Even many modern airline and corporate pilots (the one's I know anyway) would never pass up a chance to get their hands on the controls of such a powerful piece of history. My best friend flies a Citation X, the fastest civilian aircraft in the world right now, and he about fell out of his seat when I told him what I would be flying. From what he tells me, most of his training consists of learning to operate the systems that make the plane operate itself. The engines are all the way at the back of the plane where you can't really hear them, and he wears a tie in the cockpit. That just isn't flying to me.

I suppose another large part of the reason is the same as why anybody collects or enjoys vintage or antique anything. These planes are over 60 years old! Think about where they've been, what they've seen and who else flew them. These planes were around before helicopters were even invented. And 3JB is a converted C-47, the military version of the DC-3. So it probably saw lots of combat duty in WW-II, Korea and Vietman. The DC-3 design was also a pivotal design in the history of aircraft, one of the most durable types ever built. Which is why so many (relatively) are still around, and working, today.

It's really hard to actually explain the reasons for getting such a thrill from these types of aircraft. You really just have to love them.

I hope that explains it a little.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos

More
18 years 2 months ago #14754 by Hot4Darmat
Replied by Hot4Darmat on topic My new job
Way wicked cool, S_C. I think I "get" the atrtaction, and the thrill. Those are awesome birds.

Good luck in the qualification/ratings game, and here's hoping you'll make captain soon.

More
18 years 2 months ago #14755 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic My new job
Hey, it is kindof like joystick-controlled space flight sims compared to the new fangled mouse driven ones. Give me joystick controlled any day!!!!