A-Wing in game shots

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9682 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic A-Wing in game shots
Whoa! That looks like it's at least as big as the A-Wing!

Well, maybe we could have a missile with an internal A-Wing launcher rack :p.

Obviously, the missile is in the foreground but you get what I mean:

How far away from the ship is the missile (roughly? Is that why it looks so large?

That's a great shot MT, good timing! Man, that A-Wing looks nice! <font size="1">(SC pats self on back [;]</font id="size1">

As for the other post:

The missiles might fit into the hull, but if so where is room for fuel (or a reactor, engines and other systems?

ILM is notorious for the amount of work and detail they put into effects models and shots. As well as the consistency between them. They spend a lot of time making sure that even things that don't always get seen in the film make sense. I won't even try to explain how things work in Star Wars ships, but basic aircraft design tells me that all those things you mentioned are in there, with room to spare. I gather from the movies that proton torpedoes are much smaller than EoC missiles (which you've conclusively proven above, but even so, the remaining areas of the ship provide more than enough room for all the things you mentioned. You'd be amazed at what get packed into tiny little areas inside aircraft, with fully 70% of the remaining structure left empty (empty = light enough to get off the ground :D. I don't know if the same rules would apply to starcraft, but if an aircraft structure were completely packed with systems and equipment it would turn into a truck. It would drive down the runway, right off the end, onto the road and keep going; until it either stopped or hit something . Because it sure wouldn't be flying :p.

That screenshot however, definitely shows that those missiles are way too big for that ship :p.

You know, at the time the movies and the original models concepts were made they didn't have much in the way of graphics, as would be necessary for showing models with different loadout states.

Well, they didn't really have any graphics for ships. Every single model was built by hand. I think that's why they took the time to make sure that each model design was logical and workable from the perspective of SW technology. As someone mentioned in another post, it's probably the games that make everything all confused. The developers make up all kinds of crap to get the game to look or work the way they want. With absolutely no regard for what SW tech can or can't do, or for consistency with the movies. All the ships from the movies make sense from within the movies. Beyond that, apparently anything goes [xx(].

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9684 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic A-Wing in game shots

Originally posted by Second Chance

How far away from the ship is the missile (roughly)? Is that why it looks so large?

Yeah, the camera is zoomed in to make the A-Wing bigger.
In that shot the missile is about 3 ship lengths ahead of the A-Wing and 3 widths closer to the camera, so the missile looks bigger than it is.

In the shot below the position is about the same but I think it looks a lot better. It's the same missile with a different avatar:

Well, maybe we could have a missile with an internal A-Wing launcher rack :p.

Lol, I almost lost my coffee (through my nose) when I read that this morning. Unfortunatly you can't put subsims (a launcher) on a class icMissile. (we could do it in SP though, with a bit of pog and a Rem missile as a gag for the Calamari commanders) ;)

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.