A-Wing in game shots

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9656 by midget_man1993
Replied by midget_man1993 on topic A-Wing in game shots
hey SC

THATS ONE HELLOVA SHIP!!!!!!

what will they think of next?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9658 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic A-Wing in game shots
:D:D:D:D:D

Oh, hey MajorTom! Have you had any trouble with missiles exploding as soon as they're launched? When I made the setup scene I layed the missile launcher nulls onto their sides. The idea was to have the launcher throw the missiles out to the sides instead out the top (which is the normal way). (They still fire straight ahead, though.) I'm thinking that maybe the launchers are literally throwing the missiles into the guns, causing them to explode on launch. Let me know if you have any trouble, ok?

For those who haven't already noticed; when a missile launcher fires a missile, it sort of gets chucked upwards a little. Since my launchers were supposed to be on the sides of the ship, I thought it might look better if the launchers chucked the missiles out to the side instead. But I'm not even sure if rotating the launcher nulls like that will even have an effect, as the launch visual could be based on the missile itself and not the launcher.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9668 by MajorTom
Replied by MajorTom on topic A-Wing in game shots
None of the missiles have exploded on launch yet. They appear to come out of the side but somewhat higher than the launcher. ummm, *grins* I 'm guessing the black surface on the forward edge of the "wings" is the launch tube?
If any problems do crop up we can change the "arm_time" for the missiles, The ones on it now have 0.4, (where the games standard seeker has 0.5). So, that probably won't be an issue.

Lol, some of the standard missiles are around 1/4 the size of the ship (launch seen from an outside view.) We'll have to use the smallest missile avatars or perhaps the avatar from the gnat to make special more realistic looking missiles for it.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9669 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic A-Wing in game shots

They appear to come out of the side but somewhat higher than the launcher.

Hmm, I think that means that rotating the nulls had no effect, as that's what they looked like before rotation.

I 'm guessing the black surface on the forward edge of the "wings" is the launch tube?

You know, reading that made me realize that I also assumed that. That's what it says in the "Essential Guide" book, but for tech details that book isn't worth crap. Lol, it'll tell you an antenna is landing gear. I guess I should've actually checked before I set it up. But other than that, yes :D.

some of the standard missiles are around 1/4 the size of the ship

Actually, I was looking at the ship, and, that's not necessarily wrong. The A-Wing is really small in general, and a typical missile of today would have similar proportions. Speaking as a "Federally Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Technician" (another one of my previous professions [^]), the structure inside the "wings" could potentially be empty. Filled mainly with structural support ribs, just like an actual aircraft wing. It's not inconceivable that an internal missile rack, housing four or five missiles, could be mounted in that location in each wing. So using a smaller avatar isn't necessarily more realistic, unless you wanted them to be rockets instead of missiles. In which case I would guesstimate about 10 rockets per rack.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9670 by MajorTom
The thing is that the missiles diameter is about about 4 times the heigth of the the black areas on the wings front edge.
You don't suppose they are air intakes for atmospheric flight?

The missiles might fit into the hull, but if so where is room for fuel (or a reactor), engines and other systems?

Maybe the A-wing had the missiles docked underneath it like fighter planes.

You know, at the time the movies and the original models concepts were made they didn't have much in the way of graphics, as would be necessary for showing models with different loadout states.
Due to those limitations, they may have only used one model for all states and just left the rest up to the imagination

More
20 years 2 weeks ago #9681 by MajorTom
Whew! finally managed to catch a couple of missiles on launch:

SC, they are coming out of the missile null but they are still being chucked upwards.
You know, we've never been able to get missiles to fire backwards either.
Just thinking: it could be hardcoded so the missile is placed relative to the player ship Z axis, and is only offset by the position of the missile null on the ship.

Here's the launch from the players perspective (bet you didn't know missiles are not round)

heres an external shot showing the the size of the missile in relation to the ship. Thats a standard seeker missile avatar.
Obviously, the missile is in the foreground but you get what I mean: