X-Wings anyone? ...finished and textured

More
20 years 2 months ago #17986 by Second Chance
Think these babies will be a match for the Ties?

This sucker was really hard to do. I re-started the fuselage about 5 times using different techniques. I finally settled on a surfaced spline cage. It's quite a difficult shape to figure out and it was hard to find good clear images that showed it well. But once I got it going I did the rest in one night. Overall I think it came out ok.

After doing this one I'm not so worried about the A-wing anymore :)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (coming 2004)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9221 by MajorTom

Overall I think it came out ok.

Waddya mean Ok! It's fantastic work. Super Cool! :D:p

Are you planing to set up an animation channel for the different wing positions?
If so, I'll do some thinking about possibilities to change the flight model, depending on the wing position, in real time.

I'm really looking forward to putting it in the Game.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
20 years 2 months ago #9224 by Hot4Darmat
I'm with MT on this: Fantastic!

Can't wait to see them textured, flying and kicking Imperial butt

--
Hot4Darmat

More
20 years 2 months ago #9225 by jumbo
I cant wait to see it in game. I wish I could help more, the only thing I can mod is textures, I am getting better at that honest!

Jumbo

<font color=gold>[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id=gold>
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.

<font color="gold">[wide beam,Marain clear.tra. @4.28.891.7393+]</font id="gold">
xGCU Grey Area
oGSV Sleeper Service
<b>It's all right. Goodbye and farewell.</b>

More
20 years 2 months ago #9226 by Second Chance
:D Thanks guys, I really, really appreciate your feedback.

I have to say, I'm impressed with the way LW optimizes the meshes. Right now the entire model with the fuselage and all four wings included is only 1338 polys. Pretty good considering the amount of detail and the number of curved surfaces. If I had known the poly count on the fuselage would be so low (142 polys) I would have splurged and made the nose cone nice and smooth and round. But either way, I can't wait to see it in-game either. I've started extracting the texture templates from the various surfaces and will probably start work on the textures tomorrow. The real trick is going to be making them look all cruddy and dirty and worn out. The Tie's were supposed to look clean and well maintained, but these ships get a lot rougher treatment.

MajorTom - Yes, I've modeled the wings so they can easily be animated. Unfortunately I don't know how to do this for EoC. Again, maybe Shane might chime in here on the subject. I believe he knows how the animations work. If I'm not mistaken, the animation is just a matter of keyframing the start and end positions with no frames in between. Sort of like an instant morph. Then I think the animation channel handles the actual movement of the parts in the game. If anyone can tell me how to set up the animation channel I'd be much obliged. :)

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
20 years 1 month ago #9236 by Second Chance
I think we're just about there [^]

I had to tweak the wings a little because the engine mounts were hitting the fuselage in the open position. That was really the only problem there was fortunately. And I'm pretty happy with the way the textures turned out.

What do you all think, did I capture the essence of beat up rebellion ships?

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)