Need some LW surfacing help

More
20 years 2 months ago #17966 by Second Chance
I'm having trouble figuring out what I'm doing wrong with my surfaces. They're perfect in LW, but in the game some of the textures are misaligned. Can anybody (maybe Shane:D) tell me where I'm going wrong.

Here's what they look like in Modeler.

And here's what they look like in game. Notice that the front windows on the cockpit are slightly misaligned, the top windows are exactly right, and the top aft cockpit texture seems to be twisting counter-clockwise.

Any thoughts?

Also, the textured area behind the top windows are all one surface. So why does the long back part have proper smoothing and the front doesn't (you can see this better in the Modeler pic)? And the front part of the cockpit (with the windows) has no smoothing at all, although it's checked in the surface editor.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (coming 2004)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9026 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Need some LW surfacing help
Is that one texture (the sides of the cockpit 'arm' and the round end of the cabin)? What projection are you using?

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 2 months ago #9029 by Second Chance
Hi Shane. Here's a pic to show the breakdown of the surfaces on the cockpit.
  • Bright green is the front windows. 1 texture. Planar projection on the Z axis.
  • Light purple is the upper windows area. 1 texture. Planar projection along the Y axis.
  • Dark green is the upper half of the cockpit hallway. 1 texture. Planar projection along the Y axis.

Here are the actual bitmaps being used. I converted them into jpeg's to load faster here.

The textures are huge right now because I'm still working on them, but it hasn't slowed the game down. I've tried smaller versions but it doesn't help. The textures are also not square, but, I've tried making them square and that doesn't help either.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9038 by Shane
Are you using the automatic sizing feature?

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 2 months ago #9045 by Second Chance
Yes. And as you can see in the very first pic they all fit perfectly in Modeler.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9047 by Shane
Honestly, I have no idea. I've never encountered this problem.

Perhaps set the texture to non-repeating and see what that does?