Need some LW surfacing help

More
20 years 2 months ago #9050 by Second Chance
Ok, I'll give it a try. Thanks for trying to help.

btw - how about the smoothing issue, any thoughts on that? Why would two polygon areas on the same object with the same surface have different smoothing values? Is there a way to set smoothing values at the individual polygon level?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (coming 2004)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 2 months ago #9052 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Need some LW surfacing help

Why would two polygon areas on the same object with the same surface have different smoothing values?

They should not. But, if a surface with smoothing is next to a surface with no smoothing, there will be an area on the smoothed surface which is progressively not smoothed.

In other words, the smoothing caculations are plotted across the smoothed surface from the un-smoothed surface (value 0).

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 2 months ago #9054 by Second Chance
That makes sense, but all the connected surfaces are smooth. I hate to bother you with this, but would you mind having look at the file and see if you can find what's wrong with the smoothing?

More
20 years 2 months ago #9055 by Shane
Sure. Still got my email?

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
20 years 2 months ago #9056 by Second Chance
Sure do, it's on the way. Thanks. :)

More
20 years 2 months ago #9060 by Shane
There's a lot of wierdness going on with these textures.

Three times while attempting to load the 5.6 model my computer crashed (complete restart). Definately something corrupted with the object.

When it did load, the textures were not visible, and LW asked for the location of a texture named "".

http://images.snapfish.com/339%3A63%3A323232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3C2%3C%3D8%3A8%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3A947%3B647ot1lsi

What conversion processes are you using?

A possible fix: Try converting your textures to .iff format; iff is intrinsic to LW. It might make a difference.