Generic Patcom

More
20 years 3 months ago #8690 by Cormorant
Replied by Cormorant on topic Generic Patcom
slight correction: It won't be a player ship, though it might be used as a wingman now and then.

Though the design has got a certain charme (it looks cute in a way;)), there are two points of criticism:
The first thing is that I think some of the rims are looking a little too boxy, especially the rim of the main body. But in a way, that leads directly to my other point of criticism: If you'd flatten or round them, we would have a shape that looks much like the original patcom. The overall shape reminds me of the original patcom very much. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the idea was to have a patcom of a different manufacturer than NSO. But then again, there are lots of examples of industrial espionage even in today's world. For example, there are loads of older eastern cars that were more or less copies of European and American cars of those days, or just compare the US Space Shuttle to the failed Russian Buran.

Well anyway, the idea behind the new patcom is to have an inferiour competitor to the Tariq-class that didn't make it into the Commonwealth Navy.

Another concept I have already talked about with Shane is to make the alternative patcom rather a failed competitor of NSO's LST, a smaller version of a military lander, that was rejected by the Navy in favour of the LST. The focus of the design concept was then shifted to a patcom with limited atmospheric flight and landing capabilities, that could neither challenge a Tariq in space nor an LST in atmospheric flight.

I kind of grew fond of the idea, though it's not that I don't like the concept of this rather boxy Tariq-like patcom. Would be cool to hear a few oppinions an that from here :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8696 by Tarcoon
Replied by Tarcoon on topic Generic Patcom
It could be a visual hybrid of PatCom and LST?
More delta shaped - hull integrated engine section or maybe "reliant" styled? Two weapon mounts more hull integrated?

Top view:
Code:
| ------- not that flat style _____|___ _/ | \_ |( | )| | \ | / |<- Engines tubes under main body |_ " " _| o o <--- Weapons section \ / \ / === O <----- Bridge and nose Yeah - my first space ship!&#91;:D&#93; Consider the graphics quality! Front view: | --o-=O=-o-- O O Doesn't it look very dangerous?&#91;:D&#93; (seems to be F16 style from that view&#91;:)&#93;) Or maybe an other ship layout? vertical orientation! === <---- Cutter gondolas O | | ---\___ / \ ____o \____ Weapons o o === ____O Bridge | O | Front view! ___/ \ / ___/ | | | === O Maybe there is a aft-gondola for better turning! (like a rudder) This ship would be inoperabel under atmospheric conditions. &#91;:D&#93;&#91;:D&#93;&#91;:D&#93;ROFL there are tears in my eyes&#91;:D&#93;

There is no safe distance

More
20 years 3 months ago #8697 by Tarcoon
Ooops - now it's a puzzle. Sorry guys - but it was amusing.

More
20 years 3 months ago #8700 by Sivadrake
Replied by Sivadrake on topic Generic Patcom
i dont know i like the ship overall, and i CANT see the skull-ness of it no matter how hard i try:D

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

"Dust to dust we're wired into sadness"

More
20 years 3 months ago #8702 by andrewas
Replied by andrewas on topic Generic Patcom
Guys.usethe[code]tagandyoucanmakeASCIIartthatdosenttake5minutestoreassemble:

[code:3ahv1c2n]
[/code:3ahv1c2n]

More
20 years 3 months ago #8704 by Tarcoon
Nice advice!

Thank you andrewas:)