Ship and Combat balance?

More
17 years 3 months ago #16184 by Shingen
Replied by Shingen on topic Ship and Combat balance?

JT posted:
Even in combat I tend to keep flight assist on

See that was my big gripe with EoC..I hated the onboard flight assist. I guess I spent too many all-night sessions playing Frontier/JJFFE and got used to thrusters either on or off. Flight assist always got me killed in EoC.

I almost always play this game on un-assisted flight. That's why I was bitchin' about laterals.

With accel rates at 150, set speed should be 1000 for the starting tug...and everything else should play off that.

"Just remember love is life, and hate is living death. Treat your life for what's worth and live for every breath" - Black Sabbath- National Acrobat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago #16306 by Shingen
Hey, is there some way to engineer some sort of vector indicator within this flight model? Kinda like the cross-hatch in FFE and Terminus?

Just some indication of true direction/vector, as opposed to where the nose is pointed...while in either free-flight or LSD.

More
17 years 3 months ago #16307 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic Ship and Combat balance?
That would be very nice if it could be done. Might be possible. But only one of the coding guru's would know. I know that components of the hud can be loaded or unloaded in the flux.ini. Maybe something can be written and added to the list? Sounds difficult though.

More
17 years 3 months ago #16308 by GrandpaTrout
A good idea and I wish we could do it. The problem is that we cannot read these vector properties from POG. I can see them on the debug screen, but I cannot read them.

The only solution is to calculate them on the fly. And POG is very slow for that kind of thing, because it has to be done by triangulation off other objects. So at best, the vector position would change once per second, and would always be at least two seconds behind.

Then we would need a way to display the data. I cannot add elements to the HUD, so the vector indicator would have to be a physical sim in the game. Something like a beam attached to the player ship that points in the direction of the true motion vector.

This is one of those cases where we have to accept modding EoC for what it is.

More
17 years 3 months ago #16312 by Shingen
Hey, is there any way to make some of the larger asteroids targetable?

More
17 years 3 months ago #16313 by GrandpaTrout
Sure. What do you have in mind?