My cargo speaks german...

More
18 years 5 months ago #18660 by Hires
Yes, it does ... but the first thing I wanted to is thank you for your awesome mod. The mod I most anticipated (actually the only one I anticipated). In some time over the years I thought it's dead, but now it's here and I just love it! You really made the game a new one. If I would be a girl, i'd spam you with "lets-make-babies"-mails. :D

Anyways - back to the cargo. The one that speaks german. Not that german would be a problem for me, as I am german. I also play the german version of EoC, and it works well with Torn Stars, but every now and then I watched a SNRV loading "Erze" (Ore in english). I also got my hands on on of these pods, but can't find a place to sell it. Recycling it for 100 credits worked fine though.

I also got an idea why that cargo spawns.

It seems like the german EoC has one (possibly more) additional cargo-types than the english EoC. I found "Erze" to be "Cargo_CommonOre" in "resource/text/cargo_list_addendum.csv" - this cargo type you don't seem to use in "mods/MS_Mod_Econ/text/cargo_list.csv".

This is no big deal actually and I don't expect you to divert any workforce to repair this, but seeing this little bug I thought about a thing:

It is possible to "translate" the german version of EoC by acquiring the english resource-files. Is there a possibility that this could work and where could I get the english resources? (Could be a copyright-issue I suppose.)

Well ... I get back to my traderoute for now :)

Whats worse? Knowing you are paranoid, or knowing you should be?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14310 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic My cargo speaks german...
Hi Hires,

Very glad to hear that you are enjoying the game. I am also happy that we finally finished it, and that your wait was not in vain!

I think I can explain what you are seeing. There are a number of stock (EOC) pods that are no longer used in the game. However, because we are still relying on (for now) the EOC traffic scripts, these unused pods will show up in game being carried around by npc freighters. If you take one of these pods, the only way to get rid of it is via the pod scrapper NPC ship. This is what you did, so you did figure out what to do with them correctly. Once we have Traffic finished, you won't see these kinds of 'lost' cargo pods anymore.

As for translation, do you mean to translate (or overwrite) the stock EOC language files, or just the TS related ones?

More
18 years 5 months ago #14316 by Hires
Replied by Hires on topic My cargo speaks german...
Ah! I see. So those pods aren't only spawning in my german version I guess. Nevermind then, I was just a little surprised to see a german labeled cargo pod.

As for the translation, I'd like to translate the original EoC from my german version to english. At the moment I am playing a german/english mix, which is kinda confusing sometimes. I thought about replacing the EoC csv-files in "resource/text" with the english EoC csv-files.

Or I could try to translate TS texts into german, but I don't know if there are any germans interested in this. I really dont care if its english or german. It would just be nice to have one single language [^]

More
18 years 5 months ago #14318 by cambragol
Go for the TS english to german translation! I am sure there must be a few people in Germany interested in Torn Stars. We could add a German language version or patch to the Torn Stars site.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14325 by Hires
Replied by Hires on topic My cargo speaks german...
Allright, I started a german translation. Started with the file containing a lot of work, the cargolist. Anyhow, I got a few questions concerning the texts and the meaning of shortened words.

Is there anyone I could contact through e-mail with a few specific questions? I don't want to accidently spoil anything, discussing things here at the forum.

More
18 years 5 months ago #14326 by cambragol
Sounds good! You can contact me regarding any cargo names, as I was responsible for the details of the economy. My email is: griffon_academy (at(just replace this)) yahoo.ca

I can probably answer most questions, but Hot4Darmat and GrandpaTrout were the authors for most in game content.