Bases, cargo and inventory

More
19 years 1 month ago #18399 by GrandpaTrout
The "Base" referred to in the Middle States project, actually refers to being inside Lucretia's Base. The reason for the player to enter the Base is to be able to use the loadout screen to change his ships loadout.

In the Middle States, you can enter the Base from any station via a special script that loads the base screens. (this will be totall clear on the first release). A second special script catches the player when he launches from the base, and returns him to the station where he originally entered. This is basically my very old mod, StationSave.

Cargo is linked to player systems by the PS cargo scripts. Meaning that some cargo pods also represent player subsystems. This allows you to pirate a PBC cannon from a passing cargo carrier in EoC, and later install it on your ship. The loadout code knows which items are player systems, and which subsystem template to install on the player ship.

Because the Middle States release is using the standard traffic scripts, we are bound to using the standard cargo scripts which create cargo for that traffic.

It might be possible to change the cargo scripts when the traffic is changed, but research will need to be done on just what breaks when we do that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #12604 by Qlippoth
Replied by Qlippoth on topic Bases, cargo and inventory
Can I change my ship hull or loadout while docked to a different station?

What methods for "acquiring" cargo or ship components will there be?

When I go to a ship breaker what do I get out of it besides money? Can I salvage weapons and sell or use them?
Can I have the hull reIDed for my own use?
Can I store ships around my base and just hire a crew (ala the iFleet "garage" of wingmen floating next to the dock)?

What do we track in the save game?

Some of these questions I sent in email, just check them off if you answer them here. Though we really need those answers in the design spec.

Do you want to add your answers directly to the design spec or would you like me to add them?

- Qlippoth

<div align="left"> </div id="left">

More
19 years 1 month ago #12607 by cambragol
Just wondering GrandpaTrout, whether there are any 'graphical' features or details you would like me to add to the Loadout or Base screens? From what I have seen however, it seems like they are pretty much controlled by pog and don't have any room for custom graphical interfaces. What about the insides of stations? It looks like it is some kind of lightwave scene...maybe we could have someone make some station interiors? Not me, as my 3d skills are zero. Anyways, sounds like I am just making work here. Ignore me.

More
19 years 1 month ago #12610 by Qlippoth
Replied by Qlippoth on topic Bases, cargo and inventory
There's nothing wrong with posting ideas, we have agreed that they will be explored, simply not for this release. We'll be keeping the first release careful and concise as a platform to spur other projects for IWar as well as our own.

- Qlippoth

<div align="left"> </div id="left">

More
19 years 1 month ago #12619 by GrandpaTrout
All this stuff has made it back into the design spec. I will try to say it a new way here.

In the original EoC game, you could not salvage or in any way remove subsystems off of the AI ships. And you cannot do it in Epic: Middle States either.

There are a bunch of issues that prevent it. First, the AI subsystems are fundamentally different from the player subsystems.

Second, we have no loadout for AI ships. Which means, there is no way to strip subsystems off, even if you could use them. (not that a loadout package could not be coded for every AI ship. But that is not in the plan).

Currently ship breakers just give money. In the future, some code could map from the AI systems into player systems. And a captured ship could be reduced to a pile of cargo pods. (or just sellable loot).

The player in the Middle States has no home base. Base was a poor choice of words on my part, and I deleted all references to bases out of the design document. There are only stations in the Middle States. If you have a friendly relation to the owners of a station you can "Enter" that station. Upon entering, you find yourself inside Lucretia's Base. Where you can save your game. Or change the loadout on your ship. When you launch, a script catches your ship and moves you right back to the station where you "Entered". So from the player viewpoint, any station can become a "base".

The player fleet is saved and replaced at thier current locations. So if you left your fleet scattered all around, it will be just as scattered when you return. (Did iFleet ever implement that? I cannot remember).

There are a few screens it would be really nice to see replaced. The spinning heads when you start the game. It would be really nice to replace those with a cluster map and some text describing a specific area. The player could pause to read about history or culture. Learn a little about trade routes.

The inside of Lucretia's Base would also be nice to change. Just to give a feel for being inside a station.

Cal's little talking head when the player speaks. Something less green and zombie looking would be nice. How about one of the helmeted Iwar 1 figures?

Ok, now I am making extra work! Nice to dream about, however.

More
19 years 1 month ago #12629 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Bases, cargo and inventory

Originally posted by GrandpaTrout
There are a few screens it would be really nice to see replaced. The spinning heads when you start the game. It would be really nice to replace those with a cluster map and some text describing a specific area.

The spinning heads are just mini-movies, and easily switched out with a LW-created avi (translated to bink).

If you could provide me with a graphic (the map) I could build you the animation quite quickly.