DX7sound Crash and unable to save

More
8 years 10 months ago #19706 by Blazing
Hello i'm new here and mostly need some help
So i decided to install I-war 2 again (GOG version as i lost my old old disk i didn't mind re buying it fantastic old game)
The install looked fine till i tried to boot up the game i was met with it instantly closing on me so i checked the flux.txt file to see the source of crash to find this
DX7SOUND: [unknown] ******** fcSoundDeviceDA initialising...
DX7SOUND: [unknown] Failed to initialise COM (Unknown error code)
FLUX: [unknown] Cannot initialise sound device
DX7GRAPH: [unknown] **** Terminating fcGraphicsDeviceD3D...

I never had this before on any of my PC's so i tried to update my sound drivers which is Realtek HD audio (for my ASUS motherboard sound realtek chip) and no luck i'm still met with this error this game always worked before on these drivers so i'm clueless what is the issue now

I was able to boot the game by force disabling sound compleatly in the INI file (disable_sound = 1) oddly it does play the movies with sound still no issues

So i was able to get in game but its really not the same without the pew pew and extensive amount of voice acting i always loved but then i came across another big issue... the game refused to save so... basically the game is unplayable now i got only 1 go at everything i die i have to restart everything let alone forcing me to never turn the game off i really need some help here i cant find any solutions to my two problems outside of the sound problem been extremely rare i only found one other person having it.

Sorry for the average english its not my first language ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19707 by 7upMan
Hi Blazing, you did install the entire DirectX package from the MS website? It should be this one here: www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=35

If you did so and you still have no luck, then I hope anyone of the others can help you.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19708 by Blazing
Nope no luck there i have DX11 installed i have been looking around a bit with my sound codec for my motherboard it seems it only supports from vista to win 10 no XP support but considering my last PC build ran the same drivers and on win 7 like i do right now i don't know why its screwing up...

Just digging some info here like everything works with 0 errors but sound and saving the game i was able to play the game perfectly without sound but it feels empty and not been able to save makes it pointless.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19709 by 7upMan
You might have DX11 installed, ybut you still need the DX package for legacy games. What you need to consider is that the standard Windows setup does *not* contain the complete DX package. There are files missing, and that might very well be the ones that cause this error.

Also, what I completely forgot: Can you post your config (hardware and software)?

More
8 years 10 months ago #19710 by schmatzler
If you have no sound and you cannot save, it almost sounds like a permission issue for me.

Newer windows versions have the so called DEP (Data Execution Prevention) which interferes with the game. It could also be that your antivirus is blocking access to some things needed by the game.

I would try either:

-Disabling the DEP
-or adding bin/release/loader.exe in the game folder to the DEP exception list: windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Cha...-settings?SignedIn=1

If that doesn't work, try disabling your antivirus and then starting the game.

I know others reported in the past that they couldn't save but no one really found a solution for this yet. There has to be a way, though.

Space. The final frontier.

More
8 years 10 months ago #19711 by 7upMan
Oh, and what about compatibility settings? Do you run the game as Admin? What compatibility mode did you try (Win95, 98, XP...)?