Loadout implementation issue

More
21 years 2 months ago #5144 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Loadout implementation issue

Shane: if you do want to make any use of this for loadout, let me know. ... My personal take on this is that it's too cosmetic to be worth the extra time; it's the sort of polish item that'd be nice to return to later if we still have the momentum, but not before clearing to-do's that're required to get the game playable at all, never mind looking cute.

Agreed. Even I have enough on my plate that I won't go back for seconds on that one. Perhaps in the Second Phase.

Heck, we gotta leave ourselves something to do in the second phase besides missions! :D

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 2 months ago #5146 by EricMan64
I'm still interested in these icWeaponLink subsims. I'd guess that all weapons with the same name or type as the name of an icWeaponLink subsim will be linked. The question is, does anyone have an idea of how to create these subsims?

I tried creating the following template:
Code:
[Class] name=icWeaponLink [Properties] name=icWeaponLink
But the resulting subsim had a class of fcSubsim.

More
21 years 2 months ago #5149 by GrandpaTrout

Until a decision was made on this, I had planned to use the AI ships unchanged (avatar wise) in the game and use the player ships as different models (for example: the player's tug is represented as a different hull model than the AI tug).

I was under the impression the player and NPC ships would all be the same. The player could bounce to any ship in his fleet. And more importantly, the player could save while in any ship.

I have no idea where I got that impression, or if it is even possible. But that was my assumption coding EpicFleet. I guess I should ask if that is a good choice?

-Gtrout

More
21 years 2 months ago #5154 by Shane
I was not being clear. My fault. I only meant avatar-wise (as in the appearance of the ship).

The player ship tug hull type is being used as a different model. The player_tug hull (the one with comsec attached that we all flew in the original game) is considered a modification to the original AI tug ship type.

This is difficult to explain... let me try another way.

You're flying a Petrel. You've got a lot of cash, and you want to move up to the tug. You've just been itching for one of them new-fangled spider-class tug thingies you keep seeing out in the space lanes.

So, going to your nearest ship dealer (Crazy Al's Ship Emporium), you tell the guy you want a spider tug. The salesman says "Which model? The NSO A-5100 or the NSO A-6000?"
You say, "There's more than one model of spider-class tug?"
He says, "Of course! The A-5100 is your standard base-line tug. The A-6000 is a sportier model which uses a comsec for it's bridge.", and then tries to put you into the most expensive one. ;)

Both the Player and AI (which don't really exist now, I just keep using the reference through momentum) can use the NSO A-5100 or the NSO A-6000 model tugs. You'll see them everywhere. Both are tugs. Both are their own ship type. They just look a little different in the front.

Please note: The above is a crude example to illustrate the point. I have no intentions of creating a Crazy Al's Ship Emporium, and would not shop there if I did. :D

Does that clear my comments up?

More
21 years 2 months ago #5158 by EricMan64

I have no intentions of creating a Crazy Al's Ship Emporium,

hmmmm... *runs off and writes Crazy Al's into his own system*
If you're not going to use it.

More
21 years 2 months ago #5159 by Shane
EricMan, while you look into the WeaponLink issues, is there a way to create a small function which, activated by kebind, allows you to throw everything at your opponent? Sort of a 'Salvo Barrage' which launches missiles, fires cannons, beams, etc. All at once when the key is pressed?

The heat buildup would of course be massive, and your reactor would be drained for a minute while trying to fill the capacitors back up. However, I believe there are times when the feature could come in handy.

Enough books and movies have ships which can do this feature, throwing everything at their opponent at one time in a last ditch effort to win the day or protect someone else.