Loadout implementation issue

More
21 years 2 months ago #5161 by EricMan64
Taking direct control of player weapons isn't easy. In this case, I just thought of something that might work. When the Salvo bind is hit, create some sort of an invisible ship and attach it to the player ship at the life support null. Install the player into this for a little bit while you give a new AI pilot on the real ship a specific attack order with attack style AS_GunStation. Then about half a second later, cancel the order, reinstal the player into his ship, and remove the extra fake ship. The purpose of the the fake ship is so the player can see while his ship is being controlled.

Give this idea a try and let me know if it works.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 2 months ago #5163 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Loadout implementation issue
Thank you EricMan. I'd wondered if it was possible since we really lack the tools needed to simply activate/select all weapons on the ship at the same time.

I should admit I was just picking your brain, since you were dealing with this issue right now... I won't be able to persue this until after the release of Epic:DOW. The rebalance has kicked up (I need to get these ships out!) and I'm knee-deep in it. I'd thought about the salvo issue about two months ago, didn't make a note, and forgot about it. Thought about it again this morning.

Thanks again! :D

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

More
21 years 2 months ago #5164 by Flamineo

originally posted by EricMan64
give a new AI pilot on the real ship a specific attack order with attack style AS_GunStation

That's insane, but certainly an amusing idea. You could probably get round the player viewpoint problem by grabbing the camera, whip panning round the outside of the player ship, then doing a crash zoom towards the target before returning player control. The tackiness would be truly overwhelming.

More
21 years 2 months ago #5167 by EricMan64

That's insane, but certainly an amusing idea. You could probably get round the player viewpoint problem by grabbing the camera, whip panning round the outside of the player ship, then doing a crash zoom towards the target before returning player control. The tackiness would be truly overwhelming.

That would probably work pretty well. Might get annoying after the first couple of times, but that would discourage overuse of the Salvo Barrage.

More
21 years 2 months ago #5173 by Mehrunes
I'm sorry, I hadn't realized I'd stepped into the Final Fantasy in Space forum by accident.

More
21 years 2 months ago #5174 by Flamineo

originally posted by Mehrunes
Final Fantasy in Space

I was thinking more of Hong Kong style actioners with plots like 80s video games, no discernible character development, and scads of flashy camera work. For full FF credit, you'd probably need to add expanding shock-waves of glow emanating from each bolt impact, and a final freeze-frame on the player character in his cockpit, frowning in a constipated fashion.

Bullet chase shots and the like can fail to be trashy, but it's quite rare: has anyone seen Three Kings?

While I'm being outrageously off-topic, at least one dodgy ship dealer should be called Stan.