Code Release

More
21 years 1 month ago #5193 by Mehrunes
Replied by Mehrunes on topic Code Release
Good God! This thread is now 3 screens wide!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

After much work I actually managed to get a very simple screen working, welded together with
EricMan's loadout system so you can outfit your new purchases. I just need to figure out how
to fix this corrupted text I keep getting.

How are you planning to store inventory in stations? Plus I suppose ships should come outfitted
with basic equipment, which might become difficult if subsims start changing radically.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 years 1 month ago #5195 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Code Release
Sweet! That's incredible, Mehrunes.

Really nice.

No confusion; just wrong or right ... Only Solutions

More
21 years 1 month ago #5197 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Code Release
It does look nice. The plan is to just use the standard player inventory. The player inventory is unique to each system, so trade between systems must still be carried by freighter. But the player does not have the annoyance of having to deal with his stuff stored in two dozen stations in each system. And by using the common interface, if we choose to change how it works in the future it is really easy. (for instance, the inventory might be empty until the player docks at a station, and then we fill it with the player stored items).

Beware rebuilding loadout - Flamineo might have every reason to hose you with a flamethrower! Or at least have a list of requirements he needs implemented. (you might end up begging for the flames :)

-Gtrout

More
21 years 1 month ago #5198 by Mehrunes
Oh, I'm not rebuilding anything, I'm using EricMan's loadout. :)

What I meant was about stations and their own inventory, i.e. what they're producing, what they need. I'd assumed stations would keep track of their quantities of each cargo category, which would be modified by runs through a production cycle.

More
21 years 1 month ago #5199 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic Code Release
Flamineo has a loadout system under development. And it is integrated with the several dozen ships that Shane is reblancing. Flamineo and EricMan had a discussion about merging, but I guess they had very different approaches. I have also heard the Xeroux was doing a loadout. That is why I wailed in despair when I heard you were working on one. Four duplicate efforts when we have so much undone. Sigh.

Currently stations do not have inventory. That feature is pushed back to phase two and the economy sim. Focusing on Mercenary combat for this phase. Trying to get the platform stable so we can build on it. Combat seemed the fastest way.

If you want to take a crack at working on the economy, I could work up some notes quickly. The current station demands and production are being pulled from the station formula file, in the EpicTrade module.

I plan to change that some, to get the economy to balance. But the basics will stay the same.

I did the base work to allow stations to be POG built, instead of fixed. Another phase two feature being considered was player run stations. If you want to work on purchasable station - I would love the help.

I will post up the plans for future releases - and the latest phase one feature set.

www.i-war2.com/epic/files/SpiesPhase3.doc

www.i-war2.com/epic/files/MerchantsPhase2.doc

www.i-war2.com/epic/files/Epic%2 ... 20List.doc

You can find these docs on the Epic Site -> Files Page under Design.

Glad your around!

-Gtrout

More
21 years 1 month ago #5201 by Mehrunes
Well, I suppose a simple list of cargo categories and quantities could be attached to each station. Each station seems to deal in only around 15 of the categories times a few hundred stations, shouldn't be too much. Running through each one and generating a production cycle would be rather easy. Moving the cargo from the producers to the consumers however... I suppose systems could be given a limited number of trade ships (or rather a limited transport capacity over x period of time) and they could just run cargo somewhat randomly, initially.