Ship Roles and Capabilities - Formerly Weapon Info

More
18 years 8 months ago #18509 by Second Chance
I've just finished combing through all the movies, and can you believe it, there's virtually no footage of the A-Wing, Y-Wing or B-Wing firing any weapons! There is a single shot of an A-Wing firing two blasts a very long distance away from the camera, and that's it! These blasts, btw, were "unlinked" (in EoC terms). Meaning, first one gun fired, and then the other.

The X-Wing has also been confirmed as only ever firing "unlinked".

The Tie Bomber, of course, has only ever been seen "firing" bombs.

The Tie Interceptor, interestingly enough, is never actually seen to have blasts coming directly from it's weapons. There are blasts that appear, usually when something is blocking the camera, and based on their trajectory they apparently come from Interceptors (also being green and in groups of four). But they're also never seen to fire any weapons other than the four on the wing tips. And these always use the same "unlinked" firing method as the X-Wing. They also seem to have a single cycling rate somewhere between the regular Tie Fighter's single-shot and rapid-fire rates (again, much like the X-Wing).

Soooo, my conclusion is; as long as we stay true to the few established weapons, we pretty much have a free hand in being creative for the rest.

Anybody want to input creative ideas for additional weapons? We've already got fighter mounted Ion Canons and the so-called energy bomb. Anything else?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #13484 by Taurus
I would use the X-Wing Alliance settings and weapons. They felt well-designed, the gameplay was great, and they felt quite "realistic".
In case you haven't played Alliance, just tell me, I'll try to tell the various settings for the lasers and ion cannons (unlinked, linked, blah blah blah, more power consuming when linked, you could also link both lasers and ion cannons (extremey power consuming + firing rate really low,...) and the various missiles and bombs available.

More
18 years 8 months ago #13491 by Second Chance
I haven't played any of the X-Wing games, but I believe MajorTom has. How does that sound to you, MT?

More
18 years 8 months ago #13503 by MajorTom
I wish you guys knew as much about Flux as you do Star Wars canon :D

Yes, I have played XWA and enjoyed it very much.

We can use XWA and Star Wars "canon" and as a guideline for whatever we do, but Flux is the determining factor along with a few quirks that are predetermined by the imultiplay.dll. i.e we are going to have to continue to make compromises. Also, we are making a game here (thats supposed to be fun) and not a documentation of Star Wars.
Example:

The Tie Bomber, of course, has only ever been seen "firing" bombs.

That may well be, but do you think anyone will play the role of a Imperial bomber pilot in a game if he can't in some way protect himself from enemy fighter pilots? (remember we only have a max of 5 players per team).
My opinion is: If we decide to have only bombs on the TieB we might as well have not made it, because no one will fly it.
That would be a waste: The days spent on the model and texturing it, The hours it took me to develop the "Energy Bomb". The weeks spent on developing maps and game plots and scoring methods that are centered around the use of bombers, etc.
XWA didn't have a player pilotable TieBomber so we might as well use our artistic freedom to make something thats fun to use, or not? So what if the movies never showed the bombers shooting back at fighters?

Taurus, I am very interested in suggestions for missiles and weapons. I think however you should DL the last dev version of the SW mod and try out what we have too. Then we should talk about each single weapon specifically. We can tweak them to preform like in XWA if we come to such a decision.
Contrary to the impression you may have gotten, there have been months and months of time and thought put into the weapons and ship handling parameters.

All this talk about canon and movies that keeps popping up is sometimes rather annoying to me because it indicates all the work I've put into the mod so worthless that it deserves no more attention than to be fully ignored.

True, some of the guns and missiles are makeshift, and fire power needs to be tweaked to the final version, but it is all based on a concept. Unfortunatly I can't communicate the concept easily in words. Each team member try out what is there and then ask: why is this so and so? could we change it to such and such.

I don't want to generalize or standardize (and limit ourselves) by discussing canon and use up even more time.
Lets talk specifically by weapon or by ship or whatever, but we do need to be specific and not generalize every subject.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
18 years 8 months ago #13512 by Second Chance
MT and I have discussed this on the phone and cleared up the misunderstanding. This thread was merely to establish what information we already have vs. what we need to create ourselves. It wasn't intended to limit our options. As we've said before: I tell MajorTom what's canon, and he determines what's actually fun.

More
18 years 8 months ago #13526 by Taurus
quoting MT : "That may well be, but do you think anyone will play the role of a Imperial bomber pilot in a game if he can't in some way protect himself from enemy fighter pilots? (remember we only have a max of 5 players per team).
My opinion is: If we decide to have only bombs on the TieB we might as well have not made it, because no one will fly it."

I agree with this. I think the bombers (TieB, Bwing, Ywing) should have laser cannons and especially ion cannons. But I would still be interested in making them low speed, low firing-rate, low manoeuvrability bombers. Please see my post at www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2053 . :)

I read in a post that the Tie-Int was to be given ion cannons. I am not sure it is a good idea. For fun gameplay, the players on one team have to rely on each other to achieve some goals. If you give a fast manoeuvrable ship a good firepower, why fly any other ?
I think the crafts type are well defined :
A wing : fast fighter.
X wing : fighter
Y wing : fighter-bomber
B wing : bomber

Tie Int : fast fighter
Tie fighter : fighter
Tie bomber : bomber

A fast fighter should rely mostly on lasers, a fighter could prolly have lasers and some missiles, a fighter-bomber could have lasers, ion cannons and small bombs, a bomber lasers, ion cannons and big bombs, blah bah blah. The important point is that a fighter does not allow you to fire ion cannons. If you want to disrupt an opponent, you have to rely on a bomber, which is more vulnerable, so you have to protect it,... The less multirole the ships are, the better and the more varions the gameplay and strategies imho.

On my way to try the mod[:I]. Sorry MajorTom to be messing around without having played it. [:I] [|)][|)]