Some new HUD graphics and icons

More
18 years 10 months ago #18456 by Second Chance
Because the ships in the Wings of Defiance mod are so small, I decided to see what I could do about uncluttering the HUD (which really is quite crowded) so you can see them better. Turns out it's amazingly easy to do. Here you can see the results of minor tweaking to the existing HUD graphics. But it would be just as easy to completely change or add your own images. It would be quite easy to create an entirely new custom HUD display for a mod. I may end up doing this for Wings of Defiance.

Old HUD graphics

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13087 by cambragol
If only we could change the color scheme of the hud...that would probably effect the greatest change for the least effort. The Green/yellow look is wearing thin.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13089 by GrandpaTrout
Are the elements all gray scale? The color is set in code? I know this is how the GUI elements work. If the color values were stored as globals they could be adjusted. I expect they are hard coded.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13090 by cambragol
The elements of the hud, gui and main menu items are for the most part gray scale. I have experimented with some, and found that color can be used, but will usually show up with an overlay of the yellow/green scheme. Some elements can keep their native color however. I am not sure about the Hud elements though. I expect that the color is either hardcoded, or buried in some obscure ini setting.

This hud/gui/menu coloring seems to be the final frontier of what we can visually adjust in the game. I really wish I could figure out how to adjust it.

That reminds me GrandpaTrout, I have prepped some files to change the visuals of the Main menu and the unigui menus, namely the background patterning and 'text fly-bys'. I will send them to you to see what you think when I have the chance. I mixing an Islamic/Chinese theme.

More
18 years 10 months ago #13095 by Second Chance
Nothing new to say. Just fixing an almost unbelievable spelling error in my first post.

Btw cambrogol, which parts of the HUD, GUI or main menu are not gray-scale? Just curious, since I really haven't looked.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
18 years 10 months ago #13097 by cambragol
Pretty much all of them actually. Well, they are all greyscale images, but they can all be changed to color and the color will show up. However, all the colors have a yellowish overlay applied to them, making the exact result a little off from what you would expect. Strangely, blues seem to get cancelled out by the yellow overlay. Elements of the gui/hud etc that are made blue usually just disappear. I have only managed to get orange, green and red changes into the game.