High Poly Planets

More
19 years 4 weeks ago #18414 by cambragol
High Poly Planets was created by cambragol
I recently figured out how to change the stock planet models in the game. This was no easy task as I am sure Shane and GrandpaTrout will attest. In any case, I am providing a link here to a mod which will replace all the in game models with new very high poly models. Very High. They don't slow down my comp, but they probably will anyone who has a lower end comp or card. Still, these models push the flux engine to its limits, so I would like to see how they perform on others' computers. If they are just too much I can easily make a new, lower poly count version.
If you are interested in how I made them, go look in the 3d modelling area of the forum.

Here is a shot of them in action:

and here is a link to the mod:

i-war2.com/epic/files/HighPolyPlanets.zip

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #12834 by Vali
Replied by Vali on topic High Poly Planets
It works very well and it doesn’t slow down my computer.
I’m using a NVIDIA Gforce 2 MX 400 at full detail and 1024x768x32 resolution.

Faith is eternal!

When a boss says “Go!” the leader says “Let’s move out!”

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #12838 by cambragol
Replied by cambragol on topic High Poly Planets
Well, thats good to hear. I have a little bit more modern Nvidia card (6600gt) and I run my planets with 2048 by 2048 textures and experience no slow down or ill effects either.

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #12839 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic High Poly Planets
I have to second Vali... I'm running the same card and have no slowdowns either. Perhaps the backface culling is taking care of most of the polys when the planet fills the screen.

Wonderful work Cambragol. What a difference!

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #12842 by GrandpaTrout
Replied by GrandpaTrout on topic High Poly Planets
It works really well for me also. The FPS meter is exactly the same, with or without the mod. It will go out with the middle states cluster. Really nice improvement! Especially when viewed from low orbiting stations.