Some interesting modding questions

More
19 years 11 months ago #9777 by Second Chance

I was messing it some of the models and converting to lightwave but the textures do not stay on.

That's because lightwave uses it's own method of texture mapping. When using projection mapping (not uvw maping), lightwave applies the maps on the standard planar mapping principals, except, the maps are applied according to the world xyz and not the object or poly xyz. These incompatabilities make it virtually impossible to convert texture mapping from any other program into something lightwave can use.

But all is not lost. I do all of my EoC modeling in 3dsMax. But you must have lightwave to get the models properly textured and into EoC (so it's good that you have it). I'll write a quick tutorial on Max modeling for EoC and post it in the modeling section.

Would you be willing apply textures to those models that are already made?

I could, but texturing in lightwave is one of the easiest part of modeling for EoC. Like I said, I'll give you the lowdown, and you shouldn't have any problems. :)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #9793 by Second Chance
I posted a tutorial in the modeling forum on how to get models made in other packages into Lightwave and then into the game.

The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)

More
19 years 11 months ago #9817 by jburrows
Thanks.I am pretty sure it will come in handy. But first I will simple first use an lightwave 5.6 model with textures already installed (probally from an original ship from klingon academy or starfleet academy) and put it in game for testing purposes.

More
19 years 11 months ago #9818 by Second Chance
Lol, that was one of the first things I did when I first started. But before you do, make absolutely sure that you're very familiar with the Graphic SDK. EoC ships require 3 LOD models, even if all three are the same model. But be warned, KA ships have huge poly counts (comparatively speaking). And the one I used had plenty of display corruption because of it. But it's a start. Unfortunately, none of the actual ships used in the game are available for examination. Since they all got converted to pso format and the original LW models are no longer needed. Just study the Graphic SDK, the Sim and Subsim Creation Document (in the Pog SDK, I think) and the files in the game, and I'm sure you'll get it in no time. If I can help you with anything just post over in the modeling forum. Have fun :)!

More
19 years 11 months ago #9819 by jburrows
Well in starfleet are alot less. For example the romulan warbird model has less than 300 points/ polygons.

More
19 years 11 months ago #9820 by Second Chance
Hey, that's perfect! I thought the .mod files for SFC were based on .3ds models. Personally, I always thought the SFC models were a little more attractive than the KA models. Well, whatever type of file it is, as long as you've got Lightwave, I'm sure you'll get it in. Let me know if I can be of any help.

btw - If you do make a successfull conversion, there's a guy here called sd100ac who's dying to make a Star Trek mod. He's also from the KA community. Maybe you could get together with him.

Here's his original post: www.i-war2.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1530

Good luck.