Some interesting modding questions

More
19 years 11 months ago #18045 by jburrows
Well I recently got this game. I was very impressed by it.I had done some done some editing with other games as well done some editing with this game. I was wondering on some of limits of modding this game as I was thinking about doing some modding for this game as well thinking about trying to do an stargate conversion.

1 Is it possible to modify (add, remove) different cargo types advailable? For example I attacked a transport ship and it spit some cargo could it spit out something totaly new like staff cannon from stargate sg-1.Also when I went back to base would be able to save it so if I loaded the savegame file up would it show I got it?

2 I noticed in the download page in the weapons section it looked as the weapons listed for download replaced existing weapons. It is possible to make new weapons? If so is the reason for having them replace existing weapons was for single player such as missions. If so I had some interesting thoughts on that. Before finding this site I was manually editing savegame files mostly changing inventory amounts of stuff. Today I found savegame editor on this site. Pretty nice.I noticed it could alter trades. I imagine the major reason for having weapons replace existing weapons it because in single player missions you could not get it. Would it be possible to edit the savegame file so that it I could trade something to get a new weapon?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #9754 by Second Chance
This one's easy. In a nutshell: Yes, to everything you asked. (I'm pretty sure. Someone correct me if there was a "no" in there somewhere.)

The game is already fabulously modifiable, and we're still discovering new things that can be done. Any of the coders here should be able to answer any specific questions you have on adding new things, or modding existing content.

I'm interested in what kind of Stargate mod you would make, since EoC is a space sim and Stargate is primarily ground based. Do you just want to add some SG content to the cargo lists, or are you thinking of adding some of the new ships from this last season? Or are you talking about the movie? Whatever it is, I'm always glad to see new mod projects get started. Good luck. :)

***Edit***
Wait a minute! Don't I know you from the Klingon Academy mod forums?

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 11 months ago #9757 by MajorTom
You can replace and renameany cargo in the game. There are around 600 types of cargo avaliable for that. You'll probably have to get an intimate knowledge of the cargo system in order to mod it sucessfully for a complete conversion. I don't recomend save game editing. There are lots of standard pog commands avaliable to manipulate cargo and trades, you'll find them in the scripting SDK

You can make new weapons, add new names for them, change the weapon bolts color and shape, and even give them a new avatar (if you're a moddler). You could make a staff cannon or any other weapon you like.(but there are no hand held weapons in the game. they are all mounted on ships.)
If you just want to have a cargo pod show that it's full of staff cannons (so it could be captured during a space mission) you just need to change the pods name. To do that you'ld change the name of the cargo in the cargo_list text file, not (!) in the save game file because then then game could never find the corresponding pod.

Last not least, as cargo is created randomly (except in some specific missions), you'll need some scripting work to control which cargo is created where- there is no way you can do that via the save game file.

Imo, if you want to mod the game, forget about editing the save game file completly. The game save feature is 'only' a system to save predefined states, it will happily save changed names, or whatever else you have modded just like it does the original stuff.
If you change stuff after it has been saved that's putting the cart in front of the horse.

Iwar2 Multiplayer Fan Site

More
19 years 11 months ago #9759 by jburrows

Originally posted by Second Chance

This one's easy. In a nutshell: Yes, to everything you asked. (I'm pretty sure. Someone correct me if there was a "no" in there somewhere.)

The game is already fabulously modifiable, and we're still discovering new things that can be done. Any of the coders here should be able to answer any specific questions you have on adding new things, or modding existing content.

I'm interested in what kind of Stargate mod you would make, since EoC is a space sim and Stargate is primarily ground based. Do you just want to add some SG content to the cargo lists, or are you thinking of adding some of the new ships from this last season? Or are you talking about the movie? Whatever it is, I'm always glad to see new mod projects get started. Good luck. :)

***Edit***
Wait a minute! Don't I know you from the Klingon Academy mod forums?

I am from the klingon academy forums.

There are numerous ideas I could think of for stargate mods for this game. For example there are several stargate ships that could be added. Also on atlantis series I saw some new designs of new ships not seen yet. For campaign missions there several that could be lead to some interested missions.

More
19 years 11 months ago #9764 by Second Chance
Ha! I thought I recognized you. I still have your old KA tutorials page in my bookmarks (doesn't work now, though). I think you will be a welcomed addition here. And I think you will really enjoy modding for EoC, it's much easier than KA. It was designed to be mod friendly, you know. Good luck with the Stargate mod, and let me know if you need any models done. You can see some of my Star Wars models (which I'm knee deep in working on right now) over in the modeling forum.

Welcome aboard! [8D]

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 11 months ago #9765 by jburrows
Well I definately could use someone to help make some models. Also I also do have some models already made by a friend of mine which he has no ploblem letting me use them as long as I gave him credit.Also the models he made was made in 3d studio max and most of them are in 3ds or max format. I was messing it some of the models and converting to lightwave but the textures do not stay on. However I do have lightwave 5.6 and regrettable are very very limited and can not apply textures yet. However using gmax or 3d studio I can make models (not the best could use some improvement) but tell what ship it is. Would you be willing apply textures to those models that are already made? Also is there any video tuturials for using lightwave 5.6? I know after buying lynda.com discreet 3d studio max 6 help me alot with gmax and 3d studio max.