Geography Tools

More
19 years 11 months ago #18032 by Unheard Of
Geography Tools was created by Unheard Of
I'm thinking about trying to make a GUI based tool for creating EoC maps. I know Grandpatrout has created a tool that works from spreadsheets - I'm using it's source as an example, although I intend to work in Java rather than C.

Is anyone else working on this? - there's not a lot of point starting if someone else is halfway there.

How do people think this stuff should be displayed? I'm considering two views of a star system.
The first shows it as a tree, representing the parent-child relationships.
The second would show the spatial relationships, or at least a flattened version of them.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.
I have no idea how long this will take me, so don't get your hopes up of having anything usable any time soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 11 months ago #9621 by Shane
Replied by Shane on topic Geography Tools
No one else is working on that. But it's something everyone's been wanting for years. :)

Good luck! If I knew Java I'd try to help.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="black">"Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together. This was no disciplined march; it was a stampede-- without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of Civilisation... of the massacre of Mankind."
--H. G. Wells The War Of The Worlds</font id="black"></font id="Book Antiqua"> </font id="size1">

More
19 years 11 months ago #9624 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Geography Tools
I've built a random map generator, and documented additional features of G-Trout's geog SDK package. I've also partially coded a non-graphical map generator that will construct completed maps and Lightwave scene files (without LW), as well as give you their accompanying csv's (for additional editing). Let me know if I can be of any help.

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4

More
19 years 11 months ago #9627 by Unheard Of
Replied by Unheard Of on topic Geography Tools
That's interesting - it might be more use if I build tool to produce inputs for your tool second chance. Would you mind letting me see the documentation?

More
19 years 11 months ago #9631 by EricMan64
Replied by EricMan64 on topic Geography Tools

How do people think this stuff should be displayed? I'm considering two views of a star system.
The first shows it as a tree, representing the parent-child relationships.
The second would show the spatial relationships, or at least a flattened version of them.

I would use three views actually. One would be the hierarchy (sp?) tree, and the other two would be top and side spatial views. That way, it would be much easier to visualize a system that isn't flat. Make sure the top view would line up with what is seen on the EoC starmap. I don't remember what dimensions it shows but I don't think it's x and y. (x and z maybe?)

More
19 years 11 months ago #9641 by Second Chance
Replied by Second Chance on topic Geography Tools
Sounds good Unheard Of (haven't I heard of you before? :D). The Star Wars MP mod is taking up a pretty good chunk of my time at the moment, but give me a chance to put some stuff together for you and we'll see where we stand. (I haven't documented my coded stuff very well.)

mailto:second_chance@cox.net
The Ultimate Guide To Modding: I-War 2 - Edge Of Chaos (on hold during SW MP mod)
cartoons.sev.com.au/index.php?catid=4