Act 1 -- Taking out cruisers

More
20 years 10 months ago #6305 by blackbeard
KSpecter: These are small "jobs" that come up on the email during the free period after you break out of jail. There are a couple of others -- one involves stealing some animals from the Kong in trade for some good wine (not worth the trouble), and I think the other is stealing station components from Maas for the League.

BB

Are your sensors faulty? It looks dangerous out there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 10 months ago #6322 by blackfire83
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I did these missions without killing anyone. If I recall correctly, the freighters with the 'goods' are slightly further away from the station than the defending ships. I just shot up the freighter, grabbed the pod, and ran. If you do it really quickly, the freighter is still a good distance from the base when it drops the cargo, and you should be able to dock and get away. They might shoot an LDSI missile, but you'll be so far away, they won't chase you. A minor inconvenience. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

-blackfire83

More
16 years 11 months ago #16488 by drmike
Replied by drmike on topic Act 1 -- Taking out cruisers
I just finished the fuel pellets mission, and there is a way you can kill or at least scare off the three cruisers. The key is that they are not particularly maneuverable, and you have sweet lateral movement. First get the freighter to drop her cargo, and then lure the cruisers a bit of a way away. Back up far enough from them and they will stop chasing you and rest in a triangle formation. at this point, select the closest one and sneak up on it. Go slowly, because once you get to a certain distance away it will see you and come after you. Make sure you're careful and don't get close enough to the others such that they come after you too. Once you've got one of the cruisers in tow, lure him far enough away from his buddies so you can take him out without alerting them. There are two ways you can do this. First, have like forty hammer rockets (because they're cheap) handy. The cruiser will approach you head on, and eventually get close enough so he can't fire on you, because his guns are on the sides of his ship. He'll just sit there like a big old cow. Now empty your twinpacks into him. Once he is almost kaput, he'll try to FTL out of there, but you can finish him off. So satisfying. The other way is to keep circling around and shooting him in the ass (or engines), which are unshielded. Use your lateral thrusters for this and it will be very easy. It's a bit unfair. Reminds me of when I learned how to take out a star destroyer all by myself in X-Wing.

More
16 years 11 months ago #16489 by drmike
Now, all you have to do is repeat the process with the other two ships. If you're lucky, some marauders will jump in and start attacking them too, which is a good distraction.
NOW THAT YOU'VE READ THAT, PLEASE HELP ME. After destroying or scaring off the cruisers, I call Jafs and he jumps in, picks up the fuel pellets with his usual inane banter, and jumps off. Mission NOT COMPLETE. How do I get Jafs to deliver the goods to his contact? This is very frustrating.

More
16 years 11 months ago #16490 by drmike
Um. Nevermind. Upon trying to recreate what I just told you, I found that after a certain point instead of coming to a stop and waiting for you, the cruisers jump to catch up with you and then continue their pursuit. Hmmm...I noticed that one cruiser jumped away with the damaged freighter. Maybe I took out the lds drive of the freighter so it couldn't jump away, and the cruisers were waiting with it. I have no idea how the AI works so maybe that's a ridiculous idea. I'm just trying to figure out what obscure action I didn't take that means I can't complete the mission...
Plus I just noticed that the last reply in this thread was made three years ago. Maybe I won't be hearing back from them anytime soon...

More
16 years 11 months ago #16492 by drmike
Well, I had a lucky break and was able to destroy all the cruisers while they were distracted by a marauder attack. Then I tagged all the cargo pods and called Jafs in, who loaded them up and took them home. I went back to the base disappointed that I still hadn't finished the mission. Then I noticed that I could manually trade the fuel pellets for some seeker missiles from the base, and once I did that and launched again, it said the mission was complete. When I returned to the base Jafs told me that his buddy had accepted the trade. Figured it out at last...just in case anyone is still having trouble with this one...