Steam Controller with I-War 2?

More
8 years 3 months ago #20048 by Chessking
If only there was an equivalent to println(keyCode); that would tell you what inputs were being detected. That would not only allow for more efficient keymapping, but also for an in-game config editor.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #20049 by AdmiralZeratul

Chessking wrote: If only there was an equivalent to println(keyCode); that would tell you what inputs were being detected. That would not only allow for more efficient keymapping, but also for an in-game config editor.

Now, that would be perfect! Instead of trying to guess what each button is called according to whatever system I-War 2's configs use, I could see at a glance which buttons will do what and adjust my config file in the game's files instead of relying on Steam's configuration UI which doesn't work with I-War 2 anyway. Well, not that I can blame the makers of I-War 2 for not planning ahead for a controller released over twelve years later, I mean. :lol:

Sadly, I couldn't find anything like that. I've wanted to control this game with a gamepad for years, too. Maybe someone smarter than me (sadly, habitual overthinking doesn't give me the patience to learn coding skills) will find a solution for us, thus saving the day.

I don't know how that would make an in-game config editor possible though, but that would be quite nice too.

Overthinking is kind of a habit of mine.

More
8 years 3 months ago #20050 by Chessking

I don't know how that would make an in-game config editor possible though, but that would be quite nice too.

If the original game developers had access to a println(keyCode); system, they could have built in an in-game config editor. Also, Cambrogal and EricMan64 have added additional UI elements in their mods.

For code functionality, I would store all of the keys in an array, with position respective to what they control. The array could be manipulated by the program, and the config file would reference the array.

This is one tough navy, boy. They don't give you time off, even for being dead. -Clay

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 3 months ago #20051 by AdmiralZeratul

Chessking wrote:

If the original game developers had access to a println(keyCode); system, they could have built in an in-game config editor. Also, Cambrogal and EricMan64 have added additional UI elements in their mods.

For code functionality, I would store all of the keys in an array, with position respective to what they control. The array could be manipulated by the program, and the config file would reference the array.

Oh, that's a good point! I remember using a mod that added the ability to select different stations, planets, L-points, etc from an organized list. Naturally, a config maker should be possible too.

More
8 years 3 months ago #20052 by Chessking
Exactly! Torn Stars also allows you to search for ships in the area. The Future Trader mod also has UI modification, allowing you to purchase and sell cargo at any station.

Storm Petrel

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #20056 by AdmiralZeratul
I do wonder if someone would be willing to do this small favor for us. It would be ever so nice. :whistle: